DIY Water Pump

mo.v6accord

Reaction score
Well, the water pump in the car started leaking. It's sporadic as it leaked out everything once, and then I filled it and it didn't leak, then it started dripping a few days ago so I plan on doing it with my dad. The shop quoted us 750 to change it. Is it very hard to get to or something? And is there a DIY on this. And yes I did search.

scrapnav6

Reaction score
The reason it is so expensive is b/c it calls for almost 5 hours of labor. Depending on the shop rate your probably looking at close to $500 right there. The part itsself is probably under $75. It can be done yourself but not w/o a few scraped knuckles and backpain.

Edit: Forgot the timing belt needs to be removed also in order to remove the waterpump, so if you havnt done that yet, now would be a good time.

Last edited:

mo.v6accord

Reaction score
Yea, for some reason before I bought it they did the timing belt.. But not the pump. And yeah, it was 65.

Brad2274

Reaction score
you sure its not the seals in the metal pipe going from the thermostat to the waterpump? generally the timing belt, tensioner, pump, and seals(cam and crank seals also ive heard) are done at once because it's smart and they're difficult to get to, generally you remove that motor mount and hoist the engine some to get to the belt/tensioner/pump. just change the timing belt and tensioner + seals while you do the water pump. mark twice before removing the timing belt! difficulty? depends on your skill, its not a super quick job if you do it all and might anger you at some times, id give it a 7/10 for difficulty

Edit
It only takes me about 1-1hr 30 to replace the water pump for me. I'm actually going to replace my water pump sometime this week since it started to leak also. I'll post a video that I used to do mine. Make sure you use black silicone on the new seal to help prevent future leaks. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMXAZSec18Y&list=FLhedYWO5LQR0BqIIN4S7Gpw&index=6
^he has a 4cyl, so its much easier for him and im assuming you have the v6?

Last edited:

sayjaibao54

Reaction score
just a heads up, if you have time while ur back there, change out the camshaft and crankshaft seals too in case you haven't changed them!!

Back