starts and dies and s/b 00-024 hot soak

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
You know, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you have a fuel pump trying to die. I only say that as I've had cars act up like that before. I've also had them act like that right before the ECU went kaput.
It being a daily driver makes trying to do diagnostic work a luttle harder, but then you mentioned you can re-produce it in the driveway should make it easier to find.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Just got through another summer without a single "heat soak"/"hot soak" issue.

Of course since it being fall and all here in NY and winter blend gasoline creeping back into the pumps I've had my first rough warm start of the season... With many more to come over this winter and spring to be sure.

This problem is definitely not unique to 98-00 models. The entire 6th gen is susceptible to this problem. I have a 2002 and it happens to my model.

It sucks because I love this car and I still use this vehicle as my daily driver with 176k miles on the dash and a daily commute of 60 miles a day at the very least. This car is still by all means reliable and the "heat soak"/"hot soak" issue can be lived with if you know what to do.

I've had someone told me to install heat sinks on the fuel rails. Does anyone think that's a viable option?

I've also been tell that doing 4-5 fuel pump primes by turning the acc on an off just prior to a start up will help with the vapor lock. Has anyone had success with that theory?

Also, lastly. Is there anything else that wears on the car that would not be bringing under the hood temperatures to the right place they need to be to avoid a "hot soak" situation?

So when this happened to you, was it within the 15 - 45min time frame that it's supposed to happen after the engine reached normal operating temperature?

Also, this happens (to me at least) only during the summer months despite Honda stating this happens only during the winter months.

zikada

Reaction score
So when this happened to you, was it within the 15 - 45min time frame that it's supposed to happen after the engine reached normal operating temperature?

Also, this happens (to me at least) only during the summer months despite Honda stating this happens only during the winter months.

Yep. If the car is off for a short time after it was running at normal operating temperature, the hot soak situation occurs. If I let it sit for about 40 minutes it will start right back up as if nothing happened. If I leave the hood up then I can usually get it to start up sooner.

And also, yes, this happens to me only after they stop selling summer blend gasoline here in NY. Runs perfectly fine during the summer months without a single issue. Past two years haven't had one issue from May until the end of September.

Back