starts and dies and s/b 00-024 hot soak

cl206

Reaction score
any idea on how much the stealership would charge for this fix?

And how much is the PCM alone?

And say we got a PCM from an '01 or '02 at a junk yard, would it be worth the risk of using a used PCM to attempt this fix with a used one?

An oem PCM alone is about 535 list and the kit I got is listed at about 700 (which includes the FPR and PCM) but I actually paid a bit less because I got it from Tim Poliniak.

I am not sure if a used OEM PCM from a more recent year could work, but it really depends on if it has the latest software which is designed to work with the new FPR. I really don't even know if you can get the new FPR w/o the kit. Once I am done with this I will post all the details. It is expensive but if it works it will be worth it to me.

storms

Reaction score
I had the same problem! replacing the pcm with a newer one from 01-02 will not work the FPR in that TSB is higher pressure at idle so it will cause your vehicle to run rich you need the reprogrammed PCM. To test to see if it is your FPR when car is not starting after hot remove the vacuum line from FPR, this will force the FPR to run at full 40 psi and over come the vapor lock as it's also known as. If car starts and stays running then you need to replace it! It's a simple yet effective way to test your FPR!

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
I had the same problem! replacing the pcm with a newer one from 01-02 will not work the FPR in that TSB is higher pressure at idle so it will cause your vehicle to run rich you need the reprogrammed PCM. To test to see if it is your FPR when car is not starting after hot remove the vacuum line from FPR, this will force the FPR to run at full 40 psi and over come the vapor lock as it's also known as. If car starts and stays running then you need to replace it! It's a simple yet effective way to test your FPR!

dude! ok, dumb question as I do not know which hose is called what but recognize it if i see it.....which one is the FPR hose?

:hide:

cl206

Reaction score
dude! ok, dumb question as I do not know which hose is called what but recognize it if i see it.....which one is the FPR hose?
:hide:

There is one small vacuum hose attached to the top side of the FPR. It is the only one you can remove by hand I believe. You can't remove the fuel hose without loosening a nut. Actually check out the service bulletin from my first post. It shows the vacuum hose.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
There is one small vacuum hose attached to the top side of the FPR. It is the only one you can remove by hand I believe. You can't remove the fuel hose without loosening a nut. Actually check out the service bulletin from my first post. It shows the vacuum hose.

i guess i meant to ask for a picture of the engine compartment so that the FPR's location can be pointed out. I could then figure out the hoses based off of the heat soak PDF you linked in your OP.

^+1 just make sure you plug the vacuum line off when testing. I used a wood screw in the vacuum line!!

couldn't i just hold it with my thumb or something? or do i need to use something to plug up the hose while i watch my RPM gauge?

cl206

Reaction score
On the V6, (I think the i4 is different ??), stand against the left side of the car looking directly at the throttle body, the FPR is to the right a little and back. It is hard to miss because it is just out in the open. You can just about molest it all your want haha

HTHs

storms

Reaction score
well if you plug it off with a screw then you don't need anyone else there to start the car at the same time!

JayStuff

Reaction score
Youre def not alone on this.. Im having the same problem right now too. Ill keep an eye on this thread cause I really dunno whats wrong either... feels like one of the cyl isnt firing or something.

Back