ignition switch recall w/ aftermarket alarm

drey

Reaction score
After reading up on the ignition switch issue, I had taken my car to the dealership and confirmed that my car is eligible for the free ignition switch recall but they told me they would charge me $200 because they have to remove or disconnect my aftermarket alarm starter. Then to get the alarm reconnected at the store I purchased it from for $100.

I thought someone would have ran into this problem since some of us probably have an aftermarket alarm system but didn't find anything on the site.

1. Does this sound right to you, should I have to pay as much as $200 to disconnect my alarm system?
2. I've briefly read over the DIY to change the ignition switch but I'm not familiar with the wiring for any aftermarket alarm. Would I need to disconnect the aftermarket alarm before attempting to change the ignition switch? I don't mind to pay the $50-60 for the part to DIY if it's just that.

I do need this done because the car has shut off on me while driving.

Last edited:

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
They tried to pull the same crap on me. They told me I would have to pay $40 to reconnect my aftermarket alarm system. I gave them the finger and went on my way, fck that. They try to make money where they can because the recall is free. I suggest you call another dealer.

lashlee

Reaction score
I have a remote start on mine and they didn't have any issue with the recall. I'd check into another dealer.

drey

Reaction score
I went to another dealership and they told me that they'd charge me 1-1.5 hours for labour. Will call one more in town.

drey

Reaction score
They tried to pull the same crap on me. They told me I would have to pay $40 to reconnect my aftermarket alarm system. I gave them the finger and went on my way, fck that. They try to make money where they can because the recall is free. I suggest you call another dealer.

So did u go to another dealer and get it done without extra labour charges?

Back