Wheel Bearing?

98 SMR AV6

Reaction score
Well I've been noticing some humming on the rear right of the car going on freeways. Before the humming wasn't bad but today i noticed it got a lot louder. I'm guessing its a wheel bearing? So what I'm wondering is that how much did you fellow 6thgens got charged for to replace one? Thanks in advance.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
No, it sounds like a wheel bearing. If the humming got louder then it's definitely a wheel bearing. My front passenger side wheel bearing went bad last summer and I was on a road trip from Cali to New York. I had no other choice but to take it to Sears since I didn't know where to go in Chicago. I paid $260 for just one wheel bearing. Yeah I know a rip off. That's just to give you an idea.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
I paid $260 for just one wheel bearing. Yeah I know a rip off. That's just to give you an idea.

The rears don't have to be pressed in/out like the fronts do, so it should cost a bit less than that. And that's not a bad price as most shops charge right at $300. The rears are an EASY DIY. The hardest part is getting the rotor (set screws)off.

Here's a link that should help when you DO IT YOURSELF!!

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52003&highlight=bearing

To make sure it's the wheels bearing, get up to speed where you can hear the noise. Turn the steering wheel right, if the noise goes away it's the right rear bearing. If it doesn't go away, turn the wheel to the left. If the noise goes away, then it's the left rear bearing.

Last edited:

PHAT97EX

Reaction score
Make sure yo know exactly which side it is. On mine the sound was coming f
PHP:
rom the right rear,but actually the sound transferred. So what im saying is it was actually the left rear bearing that was bad. I found this out after having to switch em out. Paid $82 for bearing and did work myself. Wasn't hard tho. Good luck!

lifelongbread

Reaction score
put the car up on the lift and run it, but have a friend listen to figure out what side its coming from.
if your guna do one you might as well do both sides.
take it apart yourself, have a friend take you to a machine shop and get them to press it in and then put it back together.

note: dont get cheap ****.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
put the car up on the lift and run it, but have a friend listen to figure out what side its coming from.
if your guna do one you might as well do both sides.
take it apart yourself, have a friend take you to a machine shop and get them to press it in and then put it back together.

Did you not read the OP? It's coming from the rear.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
Make sure yo know exactly which side it is. On mine the sound was coming f
PHP:
rom the right rear,but actually the sound transferred. So what im saying is it was actually the left rear bearing that was bad. I found this out after having to switch em out. Paid $82 for bearing and did work myself. Wasn't hard tho. Good luck!

That's why you do this.

To make sure it's the wheels bearing, get up to speed where you can hear the noise. Turn the steering wheel right, if the noise goes away it's the right rear bearing. If it doesn't go away, turn the wheel to the left. If the noise goes away, then it's the left rear bearing.

Back