Best used auto trans for an 01 4cly...98 - 03?

cecoen

Reaction score
Well, it is time to buy a used trans for my wife's 2001 accord lx 4cl auto. I know they were warrantying some 2000 and 01's (I think) So should I buy one from a 98? what about 2003, are they the same? I was just thinking I would try and at least avoid those years that were really prone to failing? What would the best year be to get one from. I would think the newest year possible but what years will work? What do y'all think?

Thanks,
Chad

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Any auto trans from 1998-2002 will work. They are all prone to failing. I'm on my second 98 model year, and its failed as well.

finch13

Reaction score
I'd get a 98-99 tranny. I believe the worst years were 01-02, with 00 following closely. They're all prone to failure though, so a warrantied (3yr/36k or 12mo/12k) tranny is probably your best bet.

Any 03+ tranny won't work. They mate up to a K-series engine which spins the opposite way.

cecoen

Reaction score
Darn, I was hoping that the 03+ were just some different styling cues but no real mechanical changes. Oh well, looks like maybe a 98 or 99 is the way to go. I just refuse to spend what honda wants for a suspect part. The trans in it now was a honda reman installed by honda it lasted 2 years and 39K miles. I just can't see spending that much on a part that will prob fail again. What about the pre 98? Way too different? Don't hear about too many of those failing.

Thanks,
Chad

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
If you want to drop your own tranny, take it to a shop and have them replace any soft parts and inspect any hard parts for damage and replace if neccessary.

cajun

Reaction score
From what I've read there is no diff in the 98 through 02 - no mods, no updates, no fixes. Your best bet would be one of the later years with low miles.

Are you planning on dumping the car after the salvage trans is installed?

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
There's no reason to think they're different... but from what I've seen in the countless tranny slippage threads on here, the 01-02 seem to have the highest failure rate.

NASOHC

Reaction score
I'd have it rebuilt. Taking chances with another used trans.

cecoen

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry to not update for a bit. Thought I had auto notification turned on, guess not. Anyway, yes, a rebuild would be best but I am going cheap this time. I mean, my time is free and a salvage yard will warranty it long enough to ensure it is good when installed and all. I can install several used ones for what a new one would cost. They are all junk so new vs used really doesn't make much difference to me. I think it is going to fail regardless. Hadn't thought of pricing a rebuild if I bring them the trans. Might do that depending on cost. So yes, I will prob. be selling it after I install a known good one. I would trade it right now (it isn't completely broken yet) but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. So I am going to fix it and drive it for a bit while finding a different car. Thanks for the replys.

Chad

Back