Peak Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant

mossberg

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up some antifreeze/coolant to top off the reservoir tank, which is currently at the low level.

At Advance Auto, the two selections for my 6gen Accord are the undiluted and diluted versions of Peak Long Life. My coolant is green. The Peak stuff is supposed to be amber and not change the color of the coolant it's being added to.

I figured it's fine to use this to top off, but figured I'd check here first. Thanks.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
As long as the new coolant is the same grade/concentration as what's currently in the system it should be fine.

mossberg

Reaction score
As long as the new coolant is the same grade/concentration as what's currently in the system it should be fine.
How can I tell?

I assume what's currently in the system is 50/50 coolant/water.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
The "Honda antifreeze" is blue, and that's what's recommended for all Hondas. Go to dealer,eBay,Amazon to pick some up. My advice. Or empty out the radiator, and fill it back up, with whatever you get, so it's mostly one kind.

Turbo5upra

Reaction score
If you aren't sure of the mixture that's in there I would say its a good time to change it... 97% of people I've come across don't know that you need to change your coolant/ Brake fluid and other misc. fluids every few years...

Go to Honda and grab 2 gallons- I'd pull the radiator out and clean it as being at least 12 years old it could use a scrubbing... Might even consider replacing the cap for the couple bucks it is... Flush the rest of the system out with a pressure regulator on some compressed air...

mossberg

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the green coolant that's currently in the radiator.

That wouldn't be the older stuff, would it? I was at Advance Auto and saw a jug of green coolant, but it was labeled for cars from the 90's and older.

Turbo5upra

Reaction score
Honda has their own blend of coolant... It's anybody's guess as to what's in your car- standing there or in a pic. As I stated before if you have no idea what it is or how old it is- dump it....

Really simple process- go to honda but 2 jugs of coolant. Or if cost is a factor go to any parts store and pick up a gallon of straight coolant and a new radiator cap. Stop by a drug store and get a gallon of distilled water.

Get a drain pan- there is a plug towards the driver side of the radiator on the bottom remove that... While you're at it remove the upper and lower radiator hose- remove the 10mm bolts holding the radiator in and the couple clips/wires attached to it. Spray the now removed radiator with a hose and gently brush it top to bottom as the fins can bend and inhibit cooling.

With the drain pan under the lower hose take compressed air and a rag and blow the lines out- not too much pressure but enough to get all the coolant out... You could even take the hoses off the heater core and blow that out.

Pull the overflow bottle and scrub that- reinstall everything- fill it with coolant- run the car with the cap off and heat on low until bubbles no longer appear in the radiator.

Now you know what coolant is in your car and that the old potentially contaminated coolant isn't causing buildup inside your engine.

This will set you back 20 bucks and an hour of time.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Or get it hot, pull drain plug, fill with water

Get hot again, drain again, repeat until water clean.

Put in coolant, check mix. Can get 50/50 & 100% coolant from honda. Cause blue is cool 8)

Turbo5upra

Reaction score
Or get it hot, pull drain plug, fill with water

Get hot again, drain again, repeat until water clean.

Put in coolant, check mix. Can get 50/50 & 100% coolant from honda. Cause blue is cool 8)

sounds like an easier way for people without much wrenching experience and should do the trick just fine! :p

Back