Are coilover sleeves a DIY job?

hondaspeedx

Reaction score
OK, I just got really sick of my car at stock height and not being able to afford a proper coilover system... YET.

My question is whether installing coilover sleeves is a DIY job for a first-timer. I'd like to try myself and rent a spring compressor at the auto store and my neighbor has a floor jack. All the shops I check with want like $500.

I'm pretty handy but have never done suspension work before. And i'll only have hand tools.

These are what I bought:
coilovers.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input!

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
anything is a DIY job, as long as you know what youre doing. as far as suspension, once you know it, its very easy to change out on these cars.

did you already buy those sleeves? they look just like the cheap no name ones from ebay.

and ill also say that with suspension, you really get what you pay for....its not really something to cheap out on.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is possible. me=no way. u=iono man u a 1st timer with this lol. if u wanted sleeves at least get skunk2s. those are like decent but not too pricey

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
skunk2's were discontinued...tho you could use prelude ones i think, some people have received those instead of the accord ones. were pretty much down to ground controls for a sleeve type coilover now, haha.

travisn

Reaction score
i would not diy this. those springs are under high pressure and if you dont know what you are doing you can lose a tooth or something worse. and there is a pretty good chance the nut on the top of the strut wont come off without using an impact.

take the strut assemblies out of the car your self then bring it to a shop. they will charge you like $50 to swap everything over.

Back