Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums > The Showroom > Members Rides

Members Rides Show it off and get some feedback from fellow Accord owners

Register to remove these ads

Old 05-14-2017, 09:13 AM
Points: 1,380, Level: 10 Points: 1,380, Level: 10 Points: 1,380, Level: 10
Activity: 83% Activity: 83% Activity: 83%

capsidx is somewhat reliable
Frankensteins Official Thread

Thanks to Richard aka Sil2DrV6 for the formatting idea and having one of the cleanest 6th gens around.

A lot of people probably read my 5 speed swap story and had a good laugh at my expense. All good lol. For those who didn't, I basically didn't fully bleed the clutch and drove through the garage door lol. So here's my 6th gen. Got it for 300 dollars with a failing auto trans. Since I did my first oil change I've spent almost all my money getting this car healthy again.

Engine: F23a4 ULEV

Engine parts:
* Spectre cold air intake
* Spectre valve cover vent filter
* Denso radiator cap
* NGK iridium spark plugs
* NGK spark plug wires

Transmission:
* 5 speed F23a manual transmission (converted from A/T)
* Duralast clutch kit for now
* Excedy clutch slave cylinder
* Duralast clutch master cylinder (their parts aren't that bad lol)
* Cardone drivers side half shaft
* Cardone passenger side axle

Brakes:
* Raybestos front rotors
* Raybestos ceramic brake pads
* Raybestos rear drum shoes
* Raybestos rear brake cylinder (right)

Cosmetics:
* Front bumper stitches
* 95 Toyota Camry wing
* Avs wind visors (sides)
* Spec D tuning headlights
* 2012 TL Modified wheel wheel liners
* Custom shift boot
*Dodge Neon SRT shift knob
* 2015 Accord oem fog lights (5/25/17)

Suspension:
* Moog front sway bar links
* Moog outer tie rod ends
* Moog upper control arm w/ball joint (right)
* Moog sway bar link bushings

Exhaust:
* Megan racing 4-2-1 headers
* Flowmaster universal high flow cat
* Exhaust pipe scavenged from another car(Frankenstein exhaust lol)
* Flowmaster 40 series muffler

Interior:
* OEM cloth seats
* Custom crap window tint
* Installed manual 99 accord brake pedal
* Installed manual 99 accord clutch pedal
* Installed OEM shift knob and boot
* Installed Manual ECU from 99 accord (so ghetto it deserves its own thread)
* Sony radio
* "Custom" center console charging hub
* Aux cable routed under console to inside center console
* Rubbermaid vent pouch
* Febreze vent mounted air freshners
* Iequuis oil pressure gauge
* Iequuis pillar mounted gauge pod
* Sylvania zevo LED door bulbs (6418)
* OEM woodgrain center console lid
* OEM woodgrain dash bezel
* Sylvania Zevo LED Dome light
* 2001 Ford focus shift knob (retired)
* Dodge neon srt shift knob
** The most shady wiring ever

Fluids:
* Honda genuine manual transmission fluid
* Pennzoil platinum full synthetic 5w30 motor oil
* Rain X windshield washer fluid
* Valvoline DOT 3 brake fluid (clutch & brake)
* Prestone 50/50 antifreeze
* Honda genuine power steering fluid

Maintenance:

A lot was performed recently

Drivetrain:
* Driver's side axle (186,XXX)
* Passengers side axle (186,XXX)
* Clutch installed (186,XXX)
* Driver's side wheel hub (184,XXX)

Engine:
* Heater core coolant hose (171,XXX)
* Oil change (172,XXX)
* Intake manifold deep cleaned (174,XXX) (not fun)
* Rocker arms and shaft cleaned (174,XXX) (definitely not fun)
* Oil pan gasket replaced (179,XXX)
* Oil change (180,XXX)
* Coolant flush (184,XXX)
* Valve cover replaced(185,XXX)
* Clutch fluid flush (186,XXX)
* Brake flush (186,XXX)
* Winshield wiper fluid fill (186,XXX)
* Engine bay deep cleaned by hand
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/s....php?p=1095811

O-rings/Seals:
* Thermostat housing o ring (17X,XXX)
* Radiator drain plug o ring (180,XXX)
* Distributor inner seal (18X,XXX)
* Rear main seal(185,XXX)
* Vtec solenoid body o rings (185,XXX)
* Distributor shaft o ring (186,XXX)(5 times, ended up sealing with rtv, still leaking)
* Valve cover gasket (186,XXX)
* Drivers side axle seal (186,XXX)

Body and chassis:
* Lower control arm (18X,XXX) (right)(bent)
* Upper control arm w/ball joint (18X,XXX) (right)
* Hood (182,XXX)
* Drivers side mirror(182,XXX)
* Subframe (18X,XXX)
* New Windshield (Front)
* Front sway bar links (18X,XXX)
* Front tie rod ends (186,XXX)
* Front and rear sway bar link bushings (185,XXX)
* Front right lower ball joint (186,XXX)
* Front right sway bar link

Electrical:
* ECT sensor (171,XXX)
* MAP sensor (173,XXX)
* Battery replacement (185,XXX)
* TPS sensor (186,XXX)
* VSS sensor (186,XXX)
* Fuel rail harness tuck (186XXX)
* Passenger side headlight, radiator, horn,AC compressor / condenser harness tuck (186,XXX)
* Battery tray removed (186,XXX)
* Battery moved http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/s....php?p=1095797
* TPS, vtec pressure switch, vtec solenoid, map and distributor harness tuck (186,XXX)

Wheels and Tires:
* Stock steelies with OEM wheel covers
* Douglass Wal Mart tires lol ( no track days)

Interior:
* Cabin air filter (186,XXX)

Goals & Advice:
Trying to prove people wrong and make this a sporty family sedan. I wanted to keep the car low profile so no body kits, no crazy Mugen wheels or eBay lips kits. The goal is to leave the outside as is (with the exception of the wing because it looks horrible imo without it) and focus on the chassis and engine.

I don't plan on going crazy and building a 700 wheel horsepower ride. Just an easy going daily with enough power to dominate most sports cars on the road ( I don't encourage speeding or fart cans).

I don't plan on doing a motor swap either. I want to build a turbo kit for the f23 motor since they are relatively inexpensive​ and take a lot of abuse. However, before any of that the car needs to be in peak condition which it isn't right now so go fast parts will have to wait.

To the younger guys who don't consider maintenance important , please do. Your car will thank you in the long run. Take the time to do it right and hopefully only one time as opposed to a bunch of times because you ignored maintainence and went straight to performance. 90s Honda motors are amazing and take plenty of abuse but they aren't indestructible.

Want to know anything? Just ask. Want me to do a thread on something? Just ask lol.

Ps: I added some funnies in the photos. Yes it fell off while I was driving.
[]

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by capsidx; 05-25-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:31 PM
Points: 459, Level: 5 Points: 459, Level: 5 Points: 459, Level: 5
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Rusty Accord is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Frankensteins Official Thread

WOW, that looks a lot like my 99 LX sedan. Same color, with a 5 speed. I did go aftermarket rims on mine (they came off my Geo Prizm), but I haven't had to add as many new parts as you did. In my case it was change the leaking fuel tank, re-time the engine (harmonic balancer bolt backed out wearing the groove for the key way out and allowing the key to back out of the lower pulley, then replaced the timing belts and tensioners), and replace the harmonic balancer, and replace the windshield, as it was cracked right in my line of sight. Other than those couple of items, I haven't really had to do much to it for my 350 dollar purchase price.

It's nice to see that your car also doesn't have ABS, as most of them that you see do have it.

I like that you're not planning to get crazy with mods, as these cars are nice looking stock (when cleaned up). I'm not really planning on doing too much to my own, other than getting the maintenance caught up (it's got 232K miles on it and no history of what's been done), as I feel that's more important in the long run for the health of the car (and it's riders).

I haven't done any exhaust work yet, but I'm going to have to, as I've got a P0420 code, and the exhaust pipe from the cat back is very rusty looking. :O
But I do have to ask, does your new set up work like you wanted? Can you feel the difference? Just asking as I'm looking at going with a Magnaflow set up (cat & cat back).
Keep up the good work. I'll have to keep an eye on this build.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:36 PM

Thanks a lot dude! Really nice to see someone who realizes the importance of maintainence and doesnt want to rice out his car. The new setup, honestly I can't tell. Reason being is my exaust fell off from the cat back and the cat ended up being hollowed out. The car was way too loud but kind of a novelty when it happened lol.the new setup is really nice though because I can hear the engine more than the exhaust again. The 40 series has a nice size outlet so it looks like a stock exhaust but has really good flow. It feels like a new car now that I've done this maintenance but there's still so much more to do. Hope that answers your question. If not please feel free to ask anything. Thanks for the comment 😊

Last edited by capsidx; 05-25-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by capsidx View Post
Thanks a lot dude! Really nice to see someone who realizes the importance of maintainence and doesnt want to rice out his car. The new setup, honestly I can't tell. Reason being is my exaust fell off from the cat back and the cat ended up being hollowed out. The car was way too loud but kind of a novelty when it happened lol.the new setup is really nice though because I can hear the engine more than the exhaust again. The 40 series has a nice size outlet so it looks like a stock exhaust but had really good flow. It feels like a new car now that I've done this maintenance but there's still so much more to do. Hope that answers your question. If not please feel free to ask anything. Thanks for the comment 😊

No, you answered my question.
I have a background history of dealing with old cars, and I feel that it needs to be mechanically sound before it looks pretty. There's nothing worse than a nice looking ride sitting along the highway because of an old part failure (that should have been replaced prior). I realize the cars will go forever, but they do need our help to get there.

Nope, I don't plan on ricing it out. It's going to stay stock height and all, mainly because of the area I'm in (I live between 2 sets of rail road crossings), and the roads around here just plain suck.
The rims I went with I bought off Craig's list a full year and a half before I bought my 99 Accord. At least they were dual bolt pattern rims (15x7 7 spoke Konig's (I know they have another name for them, but I don't know what it is)), and look pretty good on the car. What was on it when I got the car were worn out anyway, so I felt the change suited it.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:53 PM

For some reason the stock wheel covers really grew on me lol. I just want a really unassuming car that passes people on highways etc. I believe Honda did a fantastic job with the 6th gen and kind of gave us a sporty car in disguise. They gave use the blueprint for a good performing motor that put reliability before all. I still have a lot of original parts on here which are still good. A testiment to the old Honda way lol

Old 05-14-2017, 01:32 PM

For some reason the stock wheel covers really grew on me lol. I just want a really unassuming car that passes people on highways etc. I believe Honda did a fantastic job with the 6th gen and kind of gave us a sporty car in disguise. They gave use the blueprint for a good performing motor that put reliability before all. I still have a lot of original parts on here which are still good. A testiment to the old Honda way lol

Oh, I agree 100%. We took my wife's car (a 2000 Accord LX sedan w/ F23A1 & AT) on 2 trips to Texas and back. We were running down the freeway at 80mph with the AC and cruise control on. It never skipped a beat and we got a combined 26.34 MPG for the entire trip (spent 5 days just running around town). Her car has 236K miles on it now, but I've been getting/keep up the maintenance on it since we got it in Nov 2014 (it had 217K back then). She loves it, and drives it 7 days a week, which makes trying to do anything to it a pain though.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:00 PM

Glad to see someone genuinely cares about their car. It also sounds like you really love the car. Correct me if im wrong but the fact you're on the forum and seem to really care say you do lol. Your car probably runs so well because you're a good owner. Not the type to say hey, my car is leaking, what a POS, I'm buying American lol.
Kudos to you man, really

Downtime with my car sucks. My girlfriend has a 2010 Corolla which she hates. When my car is down I'm forced to use hers, sparkly license plate and all. Also since the manual conversion I hate driving automatic. I know we're all enthusiasts here but I think I speak for most of use when I say I think this is one of the best cars ever made.
I'm so glad this was my first car instead of something else. I never liked Honda because the fart can scene ruined it for me but then I realized this cars kick arse and you don't need a fart can or ricey eBay plastic junk to make your car look nice. It already looks nice. Did I mention I love this car? Lol

Last edited by capsidx; 05-14-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:21 PM

Glad to see someone genuinely cares about their car. It also sounds like you really love the car. Correct me if im wrong but the fact you're on the forum and seem to really care say you do lol. Your car probably runs so well because you're a good owner. Not the type to say hey, my car is leaking, what a POS, I'm buying American lol.
Kudos to you man, really

Downtime with my car sucks. My girlfriend has a 2010 Corolla which she hates. When my car is down I'm forced to use hers, sparkly license plate and all. Also since the manual conversion I hate driving automatic. I know we're all enthusiasts here but I think I speak for most of use when I say I think this is one of the best cars ever made.
I'm so glad this was my first car instead of something else. I never liked Honda because the fart can scene ruined it for me but then I realized this cars kick arse and you don't need a fart can or ricey eBay plastic junk to make your car look nice. It already looks nice. Did I mention I love this car? Lol

Oh yeah, I care about my car, and all of those I have to keep running around here (a long list). I'm not about to call a car a POS because it has a problem that can or should have been fixed. I've had way too many vehicles over the years, and they all need some sort of maintenance to keep them up and running (including my 52 year old VW).

I originally joined this forum because I was looking for info on the AT, as we have 1 in my wife's 2000 Accord. I wanted to know what the average was for when they failed, because I had heard they were the absolute worst trans in Honda history (or at least it seemed that everyone said so, from both this forum and others).
I mean I used to have a 97 S-10, and the AT in them is known to go at 140K miles. Mine went 141K then quit. So it was right on target for failure.
But for 6th gen Accords, my research has been all over the map with a low of 40K to a high of 440K miles, and everything in between. And yes, the V6 is even worse for failure. But, the trans failure is very strange, because you never heard of the 97 and earlier (3rd,4th and 5th gen Accords) having AT trouble (V6 or I4). I mean yes, the 95-97 Accords were getting more and more electronics in them (OBD2), but you still had V6's and I4's with AT's and no problems. So, what did Honda do to a perfectly good trans that suddenly became the worst? I still don't know, except that they must have cheapened up the parts inside, and or the owners (or PO) ran Dextron in them instead of Honda ATF. Those are the only things I can think of right off hand.

I do have to agree with you about Automatic cars, in that you don't really feel connected to it or with it while driving. I prefer to drive a stick, and took my driving test in one all those years ago.

But yes, these cars are some of the best looking cars built. I mean for it's age it still looks contemporary and not dated. The insides are nicely finished and not with the cheap plastic used in more modern cars. Parts are still available thru the dealer, and they fit correctly (something I've been fighting for years on other makes). Needless to say I like the 6th gen Accord very much (we have 2 here). I prefer it's looks over the 5th gen I have here as well (the reason it's for sale), even though it's a 5 speed car. The newer Accords just don't really do it for me, as they look bloated and ungainly, where the 6th gen looks more balanced and clean in it's design.
But I do agree that the CIVIC crowd gave Hondas a bad name. And it's not the car specifically, but rather what their owners did to them. I mean I've only been a Honda owner for a little over 2 years, but all of the Civics, and a good number of small GM's and Fords seem to have fart cans on them. Back when I bought my 97 Accord, I was looking at a Civic, but found I had trouble getting in and out of it (sat too low and wasn't lowered), which helped me make up my mind and buy the Accord (it felt right). I was looking for a 5 speed car in my price range, and bought the 97. About 8 months later I found the 99 for sale almost around the corner, and bought it. After a short drive (after I fixed the engine) I found that I really liked the car and decided to keep it and sell the 97 Accord.
Sorry for rambling on.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:36 PM

Here's a couple of pics of my 99 Accord.

And a side shot of my wife's 2000 Accord.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:37 PM

Rambling is always appreciated, it's how we make friends lol. Honda was weird with tranny's back in the late 90s or more specifically the 6th gen. The automatic transmissions were notorious for failing while the manual transmission virtually never failed. I have to agree with on how the car looks. It has an aggressive stance, the classic Honda teardrop headlights and taillights . These cars had power windows (something only high end luxury cars had) and had some of the most advanced features available on cars at the time. Honda sold these cars for a fraction of the price of the higher end cars and we got an amazing bargain . Not only did you get a beautiful interior, amazing offset colors, well fitting trim pieces, comfortable seats which lasted, everything you need within reach, and an in control feel but you got a sporty engine and a really really smooth ride that most cars still can't produce.

New cars annoy me because it seems like we're going backwards. More plastic in the motor, parts failing sooner and catastrophic failures costing lives like the GM scandal. I like to hear my car too so there's one thing I love. Not overly sound deadened, just right.

You owning an antique Volkswagen says you put up with a lot of maintainence issues lol. I'm not a fan of the 5th generation or any of the newer ones. My girlfriend's sister has a 2015 and I hate everything about it except the shift knob, (A/T). Other than that I don't like it. I heard a horror story where this guy was driving a 9th gen Civic and his crankshaft broke in half on the highway. Honda says it was his fault lol. This is one reason I refuse to buy a new car. If I had to get a newer one id literally only go 1 gen higher lol

Last edited by capsidx; 05-14-2017 at 03:40 PM.