Swapping for MPGs

cboutilier

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some input on engine swaps for my coupe.

Basically, my f23a1 is worn out, and burning a bunch of oil. I'm debating swapping in either an h23a, or f20b. I intend on keeping the f23 tranny, with the intention of having improved fuel economy after the swap. Power and speed mean little to nothing to me for this build, i have a crx for that, in which i will likely rebuild my f23 block for ;-).

What would be your choice for a fuel economy swap in an daily driver accord coupe, manual transmission? Any experiences with h swap millage using accord transmissions?

chaby_91

Reaction score
improve fuel economy...? get another f23. I'm pretty sure it's the best engine for mpg

xci.ed6

Reaction score
really, some of the most interesting gains are cheap aero mods.

attachment.php

But if you wanted to try engine, try smaller, can you get a FWD (not s2k) F20?

Or electric modify O2 feedback at cruising speeds so accel is same but mpg goes up.

Last edited:

chaby_91

Reaction score
I was thinking that with the extra power of the dual cam i would be reducing the load on the engine at any given scenario

The second camshaft mostly adds horsepower, which is not what you are looking for. Torque is what you need.

Plus, the variable valve timing on f23 engines is "tuned" for fuel economy. As long as VTEC doesn't engage, you are running on only one intake valve.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Really VTEC was also for mpg, now they have variable cam gears n stuff.

Fuel econ is all about fuel:air, and how to drive that up past 14.7:1 for mpg or down for hp, which would result from fuel relative psi, and injector open time, and injector flow amt.

cboutilier

Reaction score
The f20b blue top looks attractive to me, because of its smaller displacement and super low price tag. The h23a also has a bit more torque then the f23a1. I'm getting about 580 km to a tank in my coupe now. But its an oil pig, with 370000 km on it.

f20bcg3

Reaction score
The f20b blue top looks attractive to me, because of its smaller displacement and super low price tag. The h23a also has a bit more torque then the f23a1. I'm getting about 580 km to a tank in my coupe now. But its an oil pig, with 370000 km on it.

ga8ubu8a.jpg

yea ur right the f20b is very attractive

cboutilier

Reaction score
They are beautiful engines. I was planning on h23a swapping the crx, but if I swap the accord first, i may just build a monster with the f block

Back