balancer shaft seal retainer

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
so alot of people don't know about this so I thought I'd shed some light on it.

The front balancer shaft seal on our engines has a nasty habbit of working its way out of the engine block due to crank case pressures, which in turn will cause you to leak a **** ton of oil. never a good thing, especially for us turbo guys who are inducing more internal engine pressures then stock. Thankfully theres a super simple fix for this.

Honda part #06923-POA-306 and here it is installed on my engine after doing my timing belt and water pump last week.

295005_3090112262973_1568970602_32450309_390130265_n.jpg

This little retainer was made by honda after a TSB about the balancer shaft seal issues. It came with my timing belt kit so I'm not positive on the price but I'm sure its not too expensive. its definitely something that can be a DIY as long as you have the tools to take of your crank pully. everything else is just 10mm bolts and you don't actually have to touch anything to do with your timing belt or the seal itself so theres no real fear of messing anything up.

here's a link to the TSB with a step by step of how to install the retainer.

TSB

I'd appreciate it if someone can sticky this thread since its definitely important information and can save you alot of money by doing this since having your car towed to a shop to have them put a new seal in and add the retainer after yours blows out is gonna cost a pretty penny. rep appreciated as well :thumbsup:

Shadow1

Reaction score
You can actually remove the balance shaft belt and even delete the balance shafts all together. They're not really needed.

The original purpose for them was to cancel out extra vibrations on the internals of the engine. But if you look at the B series engines, they rev higher than our F series but yet they don't have them. I've taken them off the past 3 cars I've had and actually felt the engine be able to rev freer just by removing the belt. So not only are you eliminating the dreaded balance shaft seal walk out, but your also freeing up a extra coupe ponies and less stress on the engine.

The balance seal retainer tho is only about $5-8 at the Honda dealership. I got one before and installed it. Nice find tho man.

001Stunna

Reaction score
I thought most knew about this for awhile now...since its even been mentioned in here before.
The retainer, bolt, and oil stick seal is about 5-10$ in dealerships here.

slowrider87

Reaction score
You can actually remove the balance shaft belt and even delete the balance shafts all together. They're not really needed.

The original purpose for them was to cancel out extra vibrations on the internals of the engine. But if you look at the B series engines, they rev higher than our F series but yet they don't have them. I've taken them off the past 3 cars I've had and actually felt the engine be able to rev freer just by removing the belt. So not only are you eliminating the dreaded balance shaft seal walk out, but your also freeing up a extra coupe ponies and less stress on the engine.

The balance seal retainer tho is only about $5-8 at the Honda dealership. I got one before and installed it. Nice find tho man.

No offense dude... but you just tried to lecture a man EXTREMELY well rehearsed in the internal workings of internal combustion engines. He know's what it does and why it's there. After tearing apart his engine and rebuilding it, boosting it, and doing the math, and research required to do those things properly, not to mention the 50K or more paid in tuition to Wyotech. I'm sure he kept his Balance shaft for a reason.

Shadow1

Reaction score
No offense dude... but you just tried to lecture a man EXTREMELY well rehearsed in the internal workings of internal combustion engines. He know's what it does and why it's there. After tearing apart his engine and rebuilding it, boosting it, and doing the math, and research required to do those things properly, not to mention the 50K or more paid in tuition to Wyotech. I'm sure he kept his Balance shaft for a reason.

Wasn't trying to lecture him. Nor did I look at his profile before I posted. The info I posted was for others to just invade they wanted a different route. No lecturing from me at all.

And from what I've been told by people who have taken the balance shafts out completely, it actually raises the oil pressure a little bit. Not dangerous levels. But only slightly. Once again. Not a lecture to the OP. Just info for others to read.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
good stuff. where'd you buy you're timing belt kit and how much? i'm in need of this service.
I got it from olympus since pretty much all the parts they sell are manufactured by the same companies that make stuff for honda and nissan. It was like $160 my cost through work so probably under 200 for the whole thing if you were to buy it. I can do it for you though, and if so get it at that price for you. haha did two last week. I give joo awesome price cheaper then anyone else. :deal:

Clutch find bro! :147703263745b138a51
:thumbsup:

ya I know but all the research I did I couldn't find any benefit to it really to justify the eliminator kit that kaazanspeed or whatever sells. It frees up a little oil pressure but our engine don't have an issue with low oil pressure, and untill i see dyno graphs proving to me that it makes more power (sorry I don't trust your butt dyno) its not worth the money to me when I can put that towards things I know will make me more power. thanks for your imput though :thumbsup:

I thought most knew about this for awhile now...since its even been mentioned in here before.
The retainer, bolt, and oil stick seal is about 5-10$ in dealerships here.
as much research as I've done over the years I never saw anything about it. I searched it and found a thread where you were dropping knowledge about this but I figured it was something important enough to have its own thread that can get stickied so everyone can see it without having to go digging for it.

haha thanks for havin my back tim lololol. I only spent like 40k at school though :ohyou:

Back