TL 6 Speed ECU compat. with J35/32/37 swap?

98V6Accord

Reaction score
I have a frankenstein motor and wanted to try a stock ecu before getting the standalone AEM.

J35 MDX block (RL pistons)
J32 CL-S heads
J37 TL-SH IM

05 TL 6 speed Trans

-------------

I came across an 04 TL 6 speed ecu.

Can I get this to work or will I need an MDX/CL ecu?

Thanks for any help. Still learning here.

Last edited:

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
No, the 04 TL ECU is not compatible with the generation of J-series you are using. You must use the ECU that goes with the generation of J-Series due to engine sensor compatibility and the fact that generation of ECU (04 TL) may also only work if specific systems accompany the ECU.

For example: it may also need the ABS system and Vehicle Speed sensor system SPECIFIC to the model of car in order to function correctly.
It's hard to explain as it is beyond my scope of knowledge...I sorta remember this from a conversation I had with Mr. Smalser -- who swapped my drivetrain and did the wiring for me.

For your set up you could only use the 03 Acura CL-6 6 Speed ECU. That ECU is sometimes hard to come by used. Personally I would recommend you just go straight to a standalone, you will get much more HP and TQ out of the engine versus stock ECU.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Don't take this as a 100% sure thing, but if you can use the 03 CLS6 ECU, you MAY be able to use the 01-03 CL/TL Type S Auto ECUs. Both ECU's have very similar pinouts and since you are trying to stick with the stock ECU route.

What wiring harness do you plan on using? If it's J35, you might try a J35a4 ECU (Odysseys). J35a4 and J32a2 Auto ECU's pinouts are identical from what I have read.

98V6Accord

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

I was going to use the j32a2 manual wiring harness. I'm not sure how much of my 98 accord I can use.

I'm calling around to look for a 03 manual cl-s ecu.

I got the tl because I saw the key and ignition with it. Didn't bother to do my research :facepalm:

98V6Accord

Reaction score
Which J32 are you planning on putting in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just the heads from an Auto 01 cl-s

J32a2

Mdx block
Tl-sh awd intake manifold.

I read on your swap you used the Auto Cl-S ecu. If I can go that route with some splicing it sounds better.

I'm not concerned with some minor issues. I'm getting historic tags next year.

I just gotta get a hold of a harness

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
It's just the heads from an Auto 01 cl-s

J32a2

Mdx block

Tl-sh awd intake manifold.

I read on your swap you used the Auto Cl-S ecu. If I can go that route with some splicing it sounds better.

I'm not concerned with some minor issues. I'm getting historic tags next year.

I just gotta get a hold of a harness

With a J35 block, I'm not that much help. Jay can help you out here more than I can. He is finishing his up now. But J35a4 and J32a2 pinouts are the same for the ECUs (I've been told this, not 100% factual) but you should be able to run a J32a2 engine harness and ECU. But you might be better off using the MDX harness (unless it's DBW) and using that ECU too. So J32a2 heads on a J35a3 block and a J37 manifold. The only thing I'm worried about here is some of the block connectors and if they are the same as the J32a2. If they are, you shouldn't have an issue running the J32a2 Harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back