(update) Gasoline smell from under car>narrowed down to return gas line***

001Stunna

Reaction score
levin if you remember the brake leak i had, it was the same problem

those lines rust to ****, when they changed mine they did the same thing, cut off the whole length under the car that was rusted to ****, and replaced it with a new line

they told me if they were to change the whole thing it would be an insane amount of labour and since the other parts were doing fine, they just left it as is.

Millz thats probably what will end up happening. I got quoted about 130$ for each gas line so $420 if i was to change all 3, and the rear subframe and gas tank would have to come down. I'm not really feeling blowing $600-700 on this thing(shop labor included) so the cutting way is what will probably happen.

Just gotta figure out the diameter of our gas lines...till now i've come to the conclusion they might be 3/16th. I'm just hoping the pressure fittings won't start giving me issues in the future.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Well this is how it went down...
Opened the gas tank fuel cap and left it open to relieve any pressure. At first had to pinpoint where the heck the line was leaking from...after taking a brush, brake cleaner and a cloth and cleaning the rust of the lines one by one all of a sudden a nice stream of gas started flowing out. Held my finger on that and checked as much as i could the rest of it for a second possible leak.

Now one issue being the line was quite rusted for using any means of screw on or compression fittings.

So cut the line about 10-15cm with the pinhole leak being in the middle and used a 150psi fuel hose(rubber). Cut the hose about 30cm long so it overlaps the metal line about 6-7cm on each side. Used 2 clamps on each side to tighten the hose.

Turned the car on and ran it for a while and no leaks were visible. Time will tell however.

Millz for your brake line did they use a steel hose or rubber? How did they connect it to the original line on the sides?

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Well this is how it went down...
Opened the gas tank fuel cap and left it open to relieve any pressure. At first had to pinpoint where the heck the line was leaking from...after taking a brush, brake cleaner and a cloth and cleaning the rust of the lines one by one all of a sudden a nice stream of gas started flowing out. Held my finger on that and checked as much as i could the rest of it for a second possible leak.

Now one issue being the line was quite rusted for using any means of screw on or compression fittings.

So cut the line about 10-15cm with the pinhole leak being in the middle and used a 150psi fuel hose(rubber). Cut the hose about 30cm long so it overlaps the metal line about 6-7cm on each side. Used 2 clamps on each side to tighten the hose.

Turned the car on and ran it for a while and no leaks were visible. Time will tell however.

Millz for your brake line did they use a steel hose or rubber? How did they connect it to the original line on the sides?

Micky mouse will only temporarily work. Be careful man!

Millz

Reaction score

they didn't use rubber, id be wary of using rubber as the winter/wet weather will kill it man... id advise you use it as a temp fix until you get a steel line put in

they used steel for me, cut the brake line on both ends of the floor, and used some type of something or other at each end to hold it nicely.... been a few months and no leaks. they replaced the whole line because it was all rusted to ****, he told me he didnt wanna do patch work every like 2 months on it

next time at an install day or something you can have a peak at wtf they did down there lol

i watched it all happen but i dunno exactly what they used on each end, it was explained to me at the time but i totally forgot what it was

Back