Coolant gauge needle has a mind of its own, unless you smack it

001Stunna

Reaction score
Well for some time now i've been having my coolant needle need a smacking here and there. What happens is that the needle won't react to the coolant temp unless you smack the gauge unit a bit. It'll then go to its proper position and display coolant temp. Sometimes though it'll just fall right back down so i have to smack it again and then it'll stay up. When travelling on sh1t roads sometimes due to bumps it'll go up and down on its own. Meanwhile the "actual" coolant temp of the engine is fine as the display on my android tablet running torque does not change at all in relation to the needles mindless actions.

Now i understand chances are something is loose in the connection to the gauge display, or maybe the needle or who knows...but i've take the gauge unit off, checked everything and it all seems tight and in order:ughrun: ...was wondering if anyone else had the same thing happen?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i have the same issue haha

damn gauges are made by ford... awesome quality :lawl:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
^not all of them Roy. I had this problem too, I ended up blowing the head on my engine. Get an after market gauge and sender it'll solve the whole problem.

001Stunna

Reaction score
^not all of them Roy. I had this problem too, I ended up blowing the head on my engine. Get an after market gauge and sender it'll solve the whole problem.

Was there an underlying issue on blowing the head on the engine? (coolant leak somewhere, non working fans?)

Ever since my issue started ive been running a bluetooth obd2 plug and a spare android phone with torque app on the side to monitor coolant temps and etc and the needle fudging around has no effect on the actual coolant temps displayed.

Back