Failed emissions :@ :@

001Stunna

Reaction score
Well I'm due for a new sticker in September so less then a month left and voila the damn thing failed emissions. Any suggestions would be welcome

Results Were
ASM 2525
HC PPM Limit=62 Reading=88 ***15
CO% Limit=.35 Reading=.51 ***.05
NO ppm Limit 467 Reading=893 ***35

RPM 1782 (Valid)
Dilution 15.2 (Valid)

Curb Idle
HC PPM Limit=150 Reading=145 ***45
CO% Limit=.70 Reading=.68 ***.51
NO ppm Limit n/a Reading=n/a

RPM 699 (Valid)
Dilution 15.2 (Valid)

Gas Cap Pressure Test=Pass

Now one thing that happened is the douche run the test with the gas cap loose as i drove out of the place yesterday and on the highway CEL came on, scanned it and checked gascap and it was just dangling there being held from falling only from the gas door.

Regarding the car...
-Plugs, cap, rotors have been changed withing the past year.
-Generic intake tube and K&N Air filter used. (Filter has less then 6 months on it and is clean)
-Catalytic Converter is after-market as the first cat hit the sack. Replaced 1 year ago.
-Front and back o2 sensor have been replaced with denso first time fit sensors with past year.
-Spark plug nonfouler used on rear sensor as without p0420 appears for cat behaving under threshold. The code appeared 1 day after the aftermarket cat was put in
-Oil change is due for change in 1000km and is changed every 4000-5000km.
-I've run STP Fuel injector cleaner, and sea-foam in tank and through pcv hose.
-I ran the car for 40min hwy driving prior to test being done.

O2 Sensor voltage video at idle and 2000rpm below of both front/rear sensor.

Front http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceQn6Cw-7LE
Front o2 Sensor
00-32 idle
32-1:38 2000rpm
1:38 to end idle

Rear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSirvzK7sTU
Rear O2 Sensor
00:42 idle
42-1:25 2000rpm
1:25 to end idle

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I'm wondering if mine will pass as well, since my cat is pretty much done.

Where did you get the test done?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Derek, to be honest i was kind of cheesed. I was hoping it'd pass even if it'd be barely lol. I went to a place right across Chi's shop as i was around the area yesterday since i got the coils installed to. Shop was at 11 Heritage Rd Unit#2.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Derek, to be honest i was kind of cheesed. I was hoping it'd pass even if it'd be barely lol. I went to a place right across Chi's shop as i was around the area yesterday since i got the coils installed to. Shop was at 11 Heritage Rd Unit#2.

That was the place I went to last as well, with the Cutlass.

Surprised they weren't more careful with ensuring everything was in place/secure.

So, what now, try again or fix the issues?

Do you think the cat was a factor as well?

redlinevtec

Reaction score
I heard that BG44 additive works pretty well. if your car is running to rich that will help you pass with flying colors. but personally i never used it. but i heard good things about it. plus do an oil change before and change your plugs.

001Stunna

Reaction score
That was the place I went to last as well, with the Cutlass.

Surprised they weren't more careful with ensuring everything was in place/secure.

So, what now, try again or fix the issues?

Do you think the cat was a factor as well?

Well what i have in mind is...
-go buy the cat again (as last time i bought it i just returned it as after inspection the current cat seemed ok) and put it on
-and maybe get a front o2 from TorontoHonda in case there really is a difference between the sensors Denso sells to Honda and the ones they sell to the public. Brian and Shane told me this but iunno if it's true as its the same part#s but apparently Honda Dealers get a different version of them.

If that won't fix the problem then i will be really pissed off and either go for that $450 conditional pass repair or crooked shop way of paying $200 and them running another car instead of yours lol. Thing is if i go with the second way then in 2 years ill have the same issue again.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Hmmm.....I should ask Millz if he had an issue passing since he put on an aftermarket Cat as well.

I was by Chi's shop last week....had an issue with the tranny cooler and almost wrecked the tranny....long story.

Anyway, I took a look at my cat and David checked it as well and confirmed it is pretty much done.

I would choose the cheaper route to get a pass......and the more permanent route as well, to avoid having the same issue two years from now.

BTW, do you have to pay that additional fee since you live in the city?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Hmmm.....I should ask Millz if he had an issue passing since he put on an aftermarket Cat as well.

I was by Chi's shop last week....had an issue with the tranny cooler and almost wrecked the tranny....long story.

Anyway, I took a look at my cat and David checked it as well and confirmed it is pretty much done.

I would choose the cheaper route to get a pass......and the more permanent route as well, to avoid having the same issue two years from now.

BTW, do you have to pay that additional fee since you live in the city?

If you mean that car tax fee, then yes i do. Thing is i didn't have to pay it this last 2 years as i had the sticker for 2 years so what i will have to pay now is past 2 years plus another 2 years i'm doing the sticker for. Facking annoying as hell. This 2 year sticker alone will run me about $400 if not more with all the car tax fees and what not.
What happened with tranny cooler though? Any hose separated or...??(pm :) )...hopefully it all worked out and nothing went wrong though.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Yikes!!!

I am glad to not be living in the city for that reason alone.

I think I will start paying for two years though for the sticker.

The hose that was ran along the passenger side of the engine rubbed against one of the pulleys so almost all of the tranny fluid leaked out.

Would have been hard to predict that that would have happened, but now the hoses are running on the driver's side of the engine.

AND...CAA damaged my muffler's so they will be paying for new ones as well as the labour costs.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Yikes!!!

I am glad to not be living in the city for that reason alone.

I think I will start paying for two years though for the sticker.

The hose that was ran along the passenger side of the engine rubbed against one of the pulleys so almost all of the tranny fluid leaked out.

Would have been hard to predict that that would have happened, but now the hoses are running on the driver's side of the engine.

AND...CAA damaged my muffler's so they will be paying for new ones as well as the labour costs.

New mufflers FTW lol. And damn were the hoses that close? Glad nothing bad happened though and you caught it in time

Just talked to Millz though about the whole emission thing and apparently he paid $240 for his cat (parts & labour) and passed with no issues

Back