What else can be done here...MPG gone to dogs :(

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
what is the idle like? rough? any smoke?

what about black soot on the rear bumper or black smoke under loads on the road?

001Stunna

Reaction score
i feel your pain. my issue is i smell fuel in the mornings and since it's almost winter im guessing the cold might have soemthing to do with it. but how much do you get on a full tank? assuming your tank is 17gallons right? when i fill her all the way i usually fill up to 15 gallons and get about 220miles...really bad but i do have a v6 if that affects anything.
Well i never let it fully empty out, i usually refill at quarter left...but the mpg stats are in first post as well...went from 26.1-29.4mpg to 19.6-21.3mpg. From my knowledge smell of gas in the morning (when car was cold) is somewhat normal. My last fill up was 48L on 420km of driving...which works out to 11.4L/100km.
what is the idle like? rough? any smoke?

what about black soot on the rear bumper or black smoke under loads on the road?

Ok well when you first start the car after overnight rest it starts up and idles at about 1200rpm. No black or white smoke comes from exhaust when you start it but it does smell like gas. I pretty much place this on the fact that the car is in open loop and isn't up to temp yet. The car is parked outside. I usually let it idle for 30sec-1min and then start driving. I just let it roll to the point of leaving the parking lot and by the time i get on the street engine temp is up to about 90C-100C. Once the car is warmed up it idles about 700rpm(checked this with live obd reader too). Exhaust smells normal to me, ive even got a friend to run his car and compared exhaust smells (once warmed up) and they were alike (as weird as this was to do lol).

While driving there is no black smoke that i have seen or that any1 has told me of while driving behind me. No smoke on bumper, even when putting my finger inside the tailpipe and wiping it there's not much black soot there. I'll take a pic to show tomorrow morning.

After everything i think only thing left i have not done is a leaky or leaking injectors but i just don't wanna dish out about 300-400$ on them simply to test and find it weird if they went bad.

Last edited:

Ch1R

Reaction score
It can be driving habits as well not sayin how you drive but how you driven before and now can change that like braking and what not and maybe what type of tires you run? I only get like around 186miles half tank because of my ef'd up catalytic converter which is whack, but i dunno hopefully you get your car back to its Og state.

blankkoop

Reaction score
yeah, my gas mileage is garbage too, im lucky if i get 250 per tank on my 4cyl5mt ):

thats bad...i had 99 lx 5spd 2 years ago w/ 271k mi and it used to give me 475-525 a tank (75% highway)

now i have this 99 ex auto and i get 260-300 (95% city)depending on driving habits

im almost positive when i swap over to 5spd ill be at 400 a tank at least..hopefully..

lltradell

Reaction score
@001stunna- I use to get 380 per tank now ill be lucky if i can hit 300. I wonder if your having the same symptoms as me. Is your car slow to accelerate? Do you have trouble driving up a little incline? When you floor it does your RPM stay at 5 and wont shift unless you let off the gas?
im having all these problems and have no idea whats wrong.

KO iNfAmOuS

Reaction score
having same problem...only get around 110 for a little less than half tank. Today, 6.349 gallons gone after 109.8 miles. Works to 17 something. ughhhh

001Stunna

Reaction score
@001stunna- I use to get 380 per tank now ill be lucky if i can hit 300. I wonder if your having the same symptoms as me. Is your car slow to accelerate? Do you have trouble driving up a little incline? When you floor it does your RPM stay at 5 and wont shift unless you let off the gas?
im having all these problems and have no idea whats wrong.
From what you're describing i'd say check your cat converter if its blocked maybe.
I have no issues with acceleration, inclines, or going through gears. My only issue is gas mileage is ****, as otherwise car performs like a champ in inclines and declines.

having same problem...only get around 110 for a little less than half tank. Today, 6.349 gallons gone after 109.8 miles. Works to 17 something. ughhhh

Welcome to my life lol

Back