(update) Gasoline smell from under car>narrowed down to return gas line***

001Stunna

Reaction score
Now the non leaking leak has started leaking...the fuel return line(i believe) is rusted to ****. It's the 3rd line on the driver side farthest out.

From anyone who has had experience with changing this..
...how time consuming and hard would it be to change the whole line from start to end?
...can the lines integrity be ruined if the line is cut and the rusted part is replaced?
...what thickness are our fuel return lines? 3/16(or so ive read)?
...can the fuel feed lines be cut and replaced as well or is there pressure on them much higher? (thinking this in order of preventive maintenance if one of them decides to leak in the future)

Well it's been happening for maybe 2-3 weeks now but i'm starting to smell like gasoline more and more lately.

Pretty much, i'll come home and park the car, get all my stuff out and when walking around it to go home ill get a strong gas smell. When it's a little windy i feel/smell it a lot more.

I've tried to sniff around the tires and as much as i can under the car and don't smell it, smelled around the gas fill up nozzle and nothing, smelled close to/next to the Fuel Pressure Regulator and Fuel Pressure Damper and sometimes i'll smell very faint gas smell in there. I took a sniff at another 6thgen after a drive when it still was hot and it had the same smell around the FPR area.
I've tried spraying water/soap mix around the fpr and fuel injectors and saw no bubbling of any kind and the car didn't even have one difference in its idle.

It's starting to drive my crazy. Another weird issue that may or may not be related is after the car has been sitting outside(in somewhat hot weather) it'll take a bit long to turn over...ie. in the early morning the engine will crank over in maybe 1-2 turns, however when i start it after getting home from work and its been sitting outside for maybe 2-3 hours it'll take maybe 4-5 turns for it to start.

I've looked around and some people claim to have had the same symptoms when their charcoal canister had gone bad, but then some have had fuel leaks as well. I've parked the car over cardboard all night long and there hasn't been one drop of anything.

Any ideas...? Anyone had the same issue or close to it...?

Last edited:

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
Re: gasoline smell from car(charcoal canister? fpr?)

could be the evap sensor. it vents built up gasoline from the gas tank and is fairly common in the summer, since it is hot heerrrrrrrrrre

Sexi4draccord

Reaction score

I have the same prob drives me nuts!!!!! Idk wtf it is!Help us

001Stunna

Reaction score

could be the evap sensor. it vents built up gasoline from the gas tank and is fairly common in the summer, since it is hot heerrrrrrrrrre
Out of curiosity how much would that really vent though? because sometimes i'll get such a strong whiff of it that it's like someone holding gasoline in front of your nose.

I ended up settting up on appt with a shop but earliest time they were available was on wed to hopefully narrow it down.

jdm egizzle 6

Reaction score

I'm on the boat, sometimes it even smells when the car is on.

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score

There is a breather tube (closest tube) and fuel reciever tube/line (second behind first tube line) near the fuel filter; there's two, maybe the plastic tabs I start to wear might need to be replaced which is causing the fuel smell.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
ouch, rust and canada ftl

and since it has anything to do with gas, i would not molest the line in any way

buy a new one or a non rusted one

001Stunna

Reaction score
ouch, rust and canada ftl
and since it has anything to do with gas, i would not molest the line in any way
buy a new one or a non rusted one

I'm planning on getting it replaced asap, but pretty much all shops i've called have claimed that they would just cut the rusted part and use fittings to put in a good line as apparently the fuel return line doesn't have pressure.

If i could i'd want to change all 3 fuel lines but seeing them today and how they're routed i know for a fact i won't be able to do it myself.

Millz

Reaction score
levin if you remember the brake leak i had, it was the same problem

those lines rust to ****, when they changed mine they did the same thing, cut off the whole length under the car that was rusted to ****, and replaced it with a new line

they told me if they were to change the whole thing it would be an insane amount of labour and since the other parts were doing fine, they just left it as is.

Back