Handbrake setup and difference between Front and Rear Rotors (Discs) Change

tmac13

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First time I attempted it but successfully changed my front pads and discs last night after doing a bit of research to prep for it. I'm hoping to do my rear brakes too (pads and discs also). Not been able to find much info on changing the rear brakes however - most of the DIYs i've come across cover the fronts only.

Is there any differences between front and back disc changes? How does the handbrake connect into the rear discs, and does this make it more tricky? Any step by steps or pictures would be much appreciated - i've tried searching about for a manual for my car but here in UK Haynes doesnt seem to do one (2002 1.8vtec) and not found one online yet.

Cheers

tmac13

Reaction score
thanks guys, sounds fairly straight forward then - will tackle it somepoint soon.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You can disconnect the parking brake cable from the caliper if you need more room, you just don’t want to have the handbrake up when you start working on the rear brakes. If you loosen the slide pins and they are spinning when loosening and/or tightening, just put a wrench on the plate opposite the bolt head. And yeah the pistons turn in/out.

KombatVirus

Reaction score
I did all 4 of my discs/pads recently.

For the rear, the caliper piston needs to be twisted while pushed in. For this you can buy this "caliper piston cube" thing, that has different setups for different calipers on it. It mounts onto a 3/8" drive ratchet. Kind of a PITA but it works. Heres a link for reference, find one at your local shop : link

You will need to disengage the handbrake when doing this change. Otherwise you wont be able to get the caliper or brake pads off. It took me a while until my scumbag brain figured this simple thing out. Be sure to put something under your wheels to prevent your car from rolling!! Safety first :ehcapt:

Finally, the brake line going to the back most likely needs to be removed. I found that it was literally impossible to remove the caliper bracket's bolts without removing the brake line, as they are so close together. Seriously no socket would fit in there, it sucked.

Other than that, its basically the same process as the fronts. You can PM me if you need any more help, good luck!

tmac13

Reaction score
I got stuck into it last night and managed to get them changed - thanks a bunch for all the info guys, it's a lot easier working on something when you have a good idea of what to expect.

Yep - I remembered to chock the wheels and handbrake off and brake filler cap off. The hardest part was getting a socket into the caliper bolts, not a lot of space in there like you say! Some rather stubborn bolts posed a challenge! But with a bit of penetrating oil and impact socket, managed to get them off okay.

Brakes are feeling good - handbrake is a little looser than I'd like it but I guess this is expected with new and thicker pads meaning less tension on the cable. Just need to tighten it up later and job will be complete. :)

Back