Dawg316 2000 H22 Black Coupe *The HOOPTY*

Connie

Reaction score
I'll keep my eye out for that stuff.
I'm probably going to pick up a clean black F23 01 sedan this week for $300, but the hood has a huge dent where a tree branch fell on it. So I'm going to try again painting the hood on my green parts car black if I get it.

Gotta go pick up some 600 and some primer. I've got all the other paper down to 400. I've been using the near-match rattle cans that are available in factory colours at Canadian Tire, but it's $8 for a half-size can of Nighthawk Black Pearl (the colour of both of the black cars), and I'll probably need a good 8-10 cans to get the hood covered properly. I used 2 on the fender and mirror, and wished I had 3. The colour matched almost perfectly on the fender and mirror on Midnight once it was dry.....had me worried as it went on super-blue and metallic, but that went away once it was dry and the match was awesome. Just need to get my rattle can clearcoat skills to improve, and a nice flat hood should be a good place to practice.

I used Ace Hardware gloss black for the first coat, and the colour was blatantly wrong. Anyone know where to get halfway decent factory colours in a rattle can for a more reasonable price?

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
I need to come hang with you and rusty and man up on some awesome Accord deals!

They do make some factory matching paint cans out there and you can order them as a kit with prep work supplies and everything, just need to do a lil searching in my saved sites, or you can even do a little finger walking and see what you come up with, but they are out there.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I'll keep my eye out for that stuff.
I'm probably going to pick up a clean black F23 01 sedan this week for $300, but the hood has a huge dent where a tree branch fell on it. So I'm going to try again painting the hood on my green parts car black if I get it.

Gotta go pick up some 600 and some primer. I've got all the other paper down to 400. I've been using the near-match rattle cans that are available in factory colours at Canadian Tire, but it's $8 for a half-size can of Nighthawk Black Pearl (the colour of both of the black cars), and I'll probably need a good 8-10 cans to get the hood covered properly. I used 2 on the fender and mirror, and wished I had 3. The colour matched almost perfectly on the fender and mirror on Midnight once it was dry.....had me worried as it went on super-blue and metallic, but that went away once it was dry and the match was awesome. Just need to get my rattle can clearcoat skills to improve, and a nice flat hood should be a good place to practice.

I used Ace Hardware gloss black for the first coat, and the colour was blatantly wrong. Anyone know where to get halfway decent factory colours in a rattle can for a more reasonable price?
You need to find a Nason paint dealer. For the cost of your 8 cans, you could get a pint of paint, and some activator and shoot it with a compressor. Then for a 50 bucks clear coat it.

Connie

Reaction score
You need to find a Nason paint dealer. For the cost of your 8 cans, you could get a pint of paint, and some activator and shoot it with a compressor. Then for a 50 bucks clear coat it.

Never heard of Nason; we have a TSS Top Shop here in Barrie that's a PPG dealer, though.
Doesn't paint use a lot of air though?
My compressor isn't huge, it's fine for the impact or air hammer, but it has a hard time with rotary tools; I end up waiting for it to refill for minutes at a time if I'm using the air grinder. I would need to upgrade, plus buy all the painting accessories. Not to mention I've never painted anything with a compressor in my life....I might try my hand sometime this summer, it probably is as good a time as any to get upgraded, especially with the amount of cars that pass through my hands.

I'll watch some videos on youtube and figure it out lol

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Never heard of Nason; we have a TSS Top Shop here in Barrie that's a PPG dealer, though.
Doesn't paint use a lot of air though?
My compressor isn't huge, it's fine for the impact or air hammer, but it has a hard time with rotary tools; I end up waiting for it to refill for minutes at a time if I'm using the air grinder. I would need to upgrade, plus buy all the painting accessories. Not to mention I've never painted anything with a compressor in my life....I might try my hand sometime this summer, it probably is as good a time as any to get upgraded, especially with the amount of cars that pass through my hands.

I'll watch some videos on youtube and figure it out lol

Nason is a low cost Axalta (formerly Dupont) paint brand. They offer a good cheap alternative to the higher end paints that are out there. I've actually got a couple of test sample vehicles doing winter testing on this side of the river, to find out how well it really holds up. We used to have a PPG dealer here, but I only used the high end stuff from him (doing resto work). I still like their products, but I could do without their prices. Damn they're expensive. They're also the OEM paint supplier to Honda.
As for a compressor, a 3 gallon tank with a 1/2 or 3/4 hp motor will do spraying. You can always add an 2nd tank for air volume if you need it. It won't run air tools for body work though. For that kind of stuff you need to go bigger. At least 7 hp and 80 gallon is my minimum requirement. ;) I've got an old CH that's a V4 7.5 hp 80 gallon that I've been using since 1998, and I love it. A buddy of mine just bought an Ingersoll Rand in a similar size. The trick is to build a room for it, so it doesn't eat shop space, or throw dust around.
These days, most spray guns are HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure), so you can actually get away with using a smaller compressor.
I hope this helps.

P.S. I think PPG has a plant in Barrie Ont.

Last edited:

Connie

Reaction score
Nason is a low cost Axalta (formerly Dupont) paint brand. They offer a good cheap alternative to the higher end paints that are out there. I've actually got a couple of test sample vehicles doing winter testing on this side of the river, to find out how well it really holds up. We used to have a PPG dealer here, but I only used the high end stuff from him (doing resto work). I still like their products, but I could do without their prices. Damn they're expensive. They're also the OEM paint supplier to Honda.
As for a compressor, a 3 gallon tank with a 1/2 or 3/4 hp motor will do spraying. You can always add an 2nd tank for air volume if you need it. It won't run air tools for body work though. For that kind of stuff you need to go bigger. At least 7 hp and 80 gallon is my minimum requirement. ;) I've got an old CH that's a V4 7.5 hp 80 gallon that I've been using since 1998, and I love it. A buddy of mine just bought an Ingersoll Rand in a similar size. The trick is to build a room for it, so it doesn't eat shop space, or throw dust around.
These days, most spray guns are HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure), so you can actually get away with using a smaller compressor.
I hope this helps.

P.S. I think PPG has a plant in Barrie Ont.

Thanks for the input. I've wanted one of those big donkey air tanks with the gas-powered engine forever; but they're SO expensive. I have 240V in the shop, but I'd rather not go electric; especially with energy prices the way they are right now in Ontario. I'll check the classifieds, maybe pick up a good used one some day. But with what you said, sounds like my current setup would be capable of supplying enough air to paint without breaking a sweat; I'm pretty sure it's an old 3/4hp model, but I'll have to double check. It's either 3 or 5 gal.

And you're totally right; PPG has had a plant here since 2012. I live 5 minutes outside of Barrie and had no idea lol.

dawg316

Reaction score
did a h22 LSD trans . havnt started it yet. while the cross member was out i decided to notch it to clear my h2b to h22 converted header.

n3w6rl.jpg

What a long ( and i mean long) weekend this is gonna be

stainless looking good in the bay
33b1i52.jpg

Last edited:

dawg316

Reaction score
just sold my old f23 header few days ago. didnt look as good as this PLM one i got

Welding the oem honda ball socket exhaust joint ( SRS step down)

m56a0.jpg

notch and box the front x-member
2lcto9y.jpg

34611q9.jpg

End result with new painted M2y4 LSD install .
Pics do zero justice on how clean the bay looks now

344y5hz.jpg

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
I like that the header is stepped, making some solid progress, that lil boosted civic looks fun too.

Back