No crank, no start

TX_TW

Reaction score
Good day ladies and gents,
I've been struggling with my 99 accord 4cyl. Right now I'm getting a no crank issue. All the lights are on, everything works, but no crank. I've replaced the main relay, starter, spark plugs/wires, I even got a new key. That seemed to solve it for a week, but now it's back.
Note: I can start the car by popping the clutch while the car is moving. So what can it be?

agginline86

Reaction score
Good day ladies and gents,
I've been struggling with my 99 accord 4cyl. Right now I'm getting a no crank issue. All the lights are on, everything works, but no crank. I've replaced the main relay, starter, spark plugs/wires, I even got a new key. That seemed to solve it for a week, but now it's back.
Note: I can start the car by popping the clutch while the car is moving. So what can it be?

ignition switch?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Does your starter make a 'click' noise?

Yes. Replace it.

No. Not getting a signal, prly, get a test light then I can tell you what to do.

james'99

Reaction score
Seeing that you have a manual, I would recommend testing the operation of the clutch switch at the "floor" with a multimeter. I'd take a pic but my car is at my boss's house today. Picking it up later on and then maybe I can further help you.

Also, you said the key helped for a week. I am gonna go ahead and call it a coincidence because the car would still crank, just not start if the immobilizer was at fault. There are two halves to the ignition switch. Electrical and mechanical. The electrical part you can remove from the back of the mechanical switch and turn with a screwdriver to turn on the car. If you tried to start it with a screwdriver, it would just crank and crank unless the key was sitting in the mechanical part in any position (or near it). If indeed it had anything to do with the immobilizer, the green key light would be flashing in the on position. You can verify the operation of that bulb by shutting the key off from the on position I believe.

Last edited:

TX_TW

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone! I'll try the ignition switch this weekend. I'll keep y'all updated.

TX_TW

Reaction score
I figured it out today! It was the switch behind the clutch pedal. The plastic thing broke and was not being depressed by the pedal when I step on it. Thanks everyone!

On a side note, I also installed an injen Sri. The modding begins...

Gman86

Reaction score
I figured it out today! It was the switch behind the clutch pedal. The plastic thing broke and was not being depressed by the pedal when I step on it. Thanks everyone!

On a side note, I also installed an injen Sri. The modding begins...

Those switches behind the pedals (clutch - brake) believe it or not really are integral to the proper operation of our cars. Heck i currently have a cruise control issue and im thinking switch behind brake pedal is the culprit.

Awesome man ...create a post in tech with some pics of the new CAI installed.

Back