Hello :-)

gsf6

Reaction score
Hi to everyone.
I've been reading this forum for a long time, and I'have deceided to register in because i'm trying to buy a CG2 in good conditions. Here, in Spain, the offer is very limited, and I have read a lot of comments about very serious problems with the automatic gearbox of the CG2, so, please, help me with your experience to identify the most important problems of this car, because I have just started to see offers, and I don't know how can I discover these problems with a test ride.

Will be a better idea if instead going on for a CG2, look for a CG4 to avoid these problems?

Thanks!

Connie

Reaction score
Hi to everyone.
I've been reading this forum for a long time, and I'have deceided to register in because i'm trying to buy a CG2 in good conditions. Here, in Spain, the offer is very limited, and I have read a lot of comments about very serious problems with the automatic gearbox of the CG2, so, please, help me with your experience to identify the most important problems of this car, because I have just started to see offers, and I don't know how can I discover these problems with a test ride.

Will be a better idea if instead going on for a CG2, look for a CG4 to avoid these problems?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Cual motor tienes? What engine do these cars come with in Spain? The transmission may be different in your market. In North America we got a 2.3L F23 engine or a 3.0L J30 engine.

The automatics have their issues, but a good test drive should give you an idea of how well the transmission has held up over the years. Shifts should be firm and crisp, there shouldn't be any flaring between gears, and the transmission fluid should not smell burnt. Also, the DW-1 Honda transmission fluid should be used; it is not as brightly red as regular Dexron. Service records are excellent to have, so definitely ask about them before you commit.

If the car has been properly maintained, chances are you won't have any issues so long as you continue to follow the maintenance schedule. I have well over 400k km on the transmission that is in my 02 V6, and it still works.

If I were you, though, I would look for a manual transmission car. Unless you want automatic or the power of the V6.

Good luck in your search!
Buena suerte!

gsf6

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Cual motor tienes? What engine do these cars come with in Spain? The transmission may be different in your market. In North America we got a 2.3L F23 engine or a 3.0L J30 engine.

The automatics have their issues, but a good test drive should give you an idea of how well the transmission has held up over the years. Shifts should be firm and crisp, there shouldn't be any flaring between gears, and the transmission fluid should not smell burnt. Also, the DW-1 Honda transmission fluid should be used; it is not as brightly red as regular Dexron. Service records are excellent to have, so definitely ask about them before you commit.

If the car has been properly maintained, chances are you won't have any issues so long as you continue to follow the maintenance schedule. I have well over 400k km on the transmission that is in my 02 V6, and it still works.

If I were you, though, I would look for a manual transmission car. Unless you want automatic or the power of the V6.

Good luck in your search!
Buena suerte!

Hi Connie!
In Spain we have two different engines, a 2.0 liters 147hp (CG4) and a 3.0V6 -J30A1- with automatic transmission (CG2).

In particular, I'm interested in a 1999 CG2 unit that looks flawless and only with 88000 miles. It's a strictly serial car with no mods.
I can't paste links to let you see it :(
There are very few units in the market, and it's very difficult to find one in good conditions... I'll look after any CG4 too.

Thanks

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
welcome. i'd avoid the automatic v6... the tranny on those are rubbish... stick to the 5spd 4 cylinder :beer:

Connie

Reaction score
welcome. i'd avoid the automatic v6... the tranny on those are rubbish... stick to the 5spd 4 cylinder :beer:

I LOVE both of my V6 Accord coupes and wouldn't trade them for a 4-cylinder in a million years. I also don't mind putting a replacement transmission in from time to time, and that's definitely not something for everyone.....so sad that it didn't come manual with V6 until '03.....the 7th gen coupes are so ugly compared to the 6th gen coupes!

Back