Broke a fudging stud...driving on 3/4 studs/lugnuts on :@

001Stunna

Reaction score
So in an attempt to switch my rims today, one of the studs on front driver side sheared off. Half the stud is inside the lugnut, and half is left on the car. I did notice though that the one that broke the inside body was in somewhat a spindly twisted motion which scared me on the fact that what if the others are like that as well and nearing the end of their life:thinking: And i've been torquing the bishes to only 85 too :(

Two questions however
1-What risks am i really taking here driving with only 3/4 lug nuts on the front driver side? (i understand one is the possibility of warping the brake discs due to uneven pressure)
2-To replace a stud in the front in our cars...can you simply take off the brake disc and hammer out the old stud, insert new one and pull it through using a lugnut and some spacers??(can this destroy the bearing?) or...must you 100% remove the whole hub unit and change the bearing as well?

jeffpanya

Reaction score
Take the caliper off than take the rotor off, (take the lug off first) I grinded down the end of the stud so I can stick it inside easier. Simple. The bolts on the rotor might be hard to take off though.

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
my buddy with a mk4 jetta ran 4/5 lugs on every wheel for a while (long story), and when he replaced the missing ones, he got better gas mileage. not exactly what you need right now mr. Levin :lawl:

twofast4u

Reaction score
Yea I ran 2 lugs on my 89 accord for a few days (they rolled down the driveway into the sewer) 3 should be fine for a week or 2 :)

001Stunna

Reaction score
Those who went the route of grinding a small part of the stud flat to make it fit (without taking the hub off and possibly ruining the bearing while taking the hub off). Any issues with using these for a long period of time???

Last edited:
Back