I smell paint fumes...

Simkid5614

Reaction score
I think it might be the thing behind the dash.... You know, where the heater core is, but the thing for the a/c..... Whats that called? That thing lol. I think theres a leak there because its not in the engine bay, its only through the vents.

Evaporator Core.

And. Whatever you do, Don't DIY this. I've done it on a saturn, It was in pieces, baggies and parts for a week. Over 200 Screws and seats, carpet, entire DASH down to the firewall. However, might be easy to do on the Accord.

Check Chiltons first.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Evaporator Core.

And. Whatever you do, Don't DIY this. I've done it on a saturn, It was in pieces, baggies and parts for a week. Over 200 Screws and seats, carpet, entire DASH down to the firewall. However, might be easy to do on the Accord.

Check Chiltons first.

Thank you good sir. Will check and possibly do that this weekend or next!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I've never noticed a paint-like smell to freon. It always seemed more musty to me.

If you think it is your evaporator get a UV test kit from the parts store. Run the A/C, install the dye in the low side port, and let it run. Look for dye dripping out the drain tube at the firewall. If it is, have a shop vacuum the A/C system, don't vent it. Also have a shop vacuum the system when you are done, before adding freon, air is bad, and water is worse, for the system..

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Having a friend look at it tonight. I cant drive the car anymore though. The smell is waaaay to strong and i get a headache even after a 10 minute drive.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
So we figured out what was wrong. The purge solenoid was broken and i have an exhaust leak at the headers, combining those two strong smells together gave off an acetone smell. I ordered the solenoid, will fix it saturday and will order gaskets online. Also noticed coolant everywhere today and found a hole at the top of my radiator so i am going to order a new one at cost theough my friends work and fix that as well. After all this is done, i will get tires and just wait for my water pump to go :lawl: thanks for your help guys!

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Those sound like just wear and tear issues.

No need to through the Accord under a bus just yet, not before a 6spd gets done.

Back