Speedometer drops to zero

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I ordered the speed Sensor yesterday and got it today. Just installed it and just my luck it STILL DOESNT WORK. I've had it with this car...

xci.ed6

Reaction score
but you have no MIL...

car off / ecm unplugged, check for continuity between the cluster & ECM on the VSS wire. IDK where a connector would be between them, or if there is one, but I'd check there if it shows open.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
but you have no MIL...

car off / ecm unplugged, check for continuity between the cluster & ECM on the VSS wire. IDK where a connector would be between them, or if there is one, but I'd check there if it shows open.

Do you think it could be an issue with the cluster? If so do you know if there's a way to check on the cluster? Like any connections?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
it sounds like on both clusters it didn't work. Now it's time to find out if they even get a signal.

james'99

Reaction score
The odometer doesn't work either

Yeah, definitely going to be a wiring issue somewhere I think unfortunately.

Do you have an OBD2 reader capable of MPH?

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/

If you get 0 mph out of the OBD2 port, That means there is a problem between the ECM and the sensor. If you do get a reading, well then the issue lies between the ECM and the cluster.

If the problem is between the ECM and cluster, I doubt it will throw a CEL.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely going to be a wiring issue somewhere I think unfortunately.

Do you have an OBD2 reader capable of MPH?

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/

If you get 0 mph out of the OBD2 port, That means there is a problem between the ECM and the sensor. If you do get a reading, well then the issue lies between the ECM and the cluster.

If the problem is between the ECM and cluster, I doubt it will throw a CEL.

I have a scanner but not sure if it's capable of mph and I've been trying to figure it out haha.

I've always thought it was strange it was I never got a cel. I'm going to see if my grandpa or dad has the proper tool to test the wiring.

Also thank you guys a ton for your help. I posted in an accord Facebook group and they were no help at all. They basically just tried guessing without diagnosing anything. Someone told me to check MAF and clean my throttle body? What is that gonna do lol. He couldn't answer his thinking either.

james'99

Reaction score
I have a scanner but not sure if it's capable of mph and I've been trying to figure it out haha.

I've always thought it was strange it was I never got a cel. I'm going to see if my grandpa or dad has the proper tool to test the wiring.

Also thank you guys a ton for your help. I posted in an accord Facebook group and they were no help at all. They basically just tried guessing without diagnosing anything. Someone told me to check MAF and clean my throttle body? What is that gonna do lol. He couldn't answer his thinking either.

Always here to help. Yeah, its unfortunate the sensor didn't fix it but no sense throwing any more parts at it until you verify the wiring. I'l see if I can dig up a wiring diagram for the cluster asap and see what we can do.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I put the female dog up on jack stands to get the wheels spinning to get a reading on the speed sensor plug. When my dad would mess with the plug the speedo would shoot up for a second and back down. Any ideas?

Back