DIY Clear headlight lenses

nyknick1015

Reaction score
Coming in 10 mins... be patient... lol Uploading!!

This is a DIY to do this!! (sorry who ever car this is, i stole ur pics lol
Before

13748658ue7.jpg

After

69233678ir1.jpg

First, you know the ritual of separating headlights... Check out the blackhousing DIY to find out how to separate them.
Here is what you will need. Or at least what I used...

2 packs of 3M wetordry Fine Assorted Sandpaper (Comes with 320, 400, 600, and 800)
3m Fine 1000 grit Sandpaper
3m Fine 2000 grit Sandpaper
Rubbing Compound (I used turtle Wax rubbing Compound)
Meguiars Plastx Plastic Polish
100_0185.jpg

100_0186.jpg

First: Obviously Separate your headlights...
100_0174.jpg

Second: THIS IS AN OPTIONAL STEP... YOU CAN SKIP RIGHT TO THE NEXT STEP IF YOU FEEL NECESSARY!!
I dry sanded the lines down because 1. I didn't read the initial DIY first, and 2. Dry sanding down the lines is a lot easier than wet sanding. I wet sanded first, it took me 5 hours on the first side, the dry only took me 1 and then a half hour wet sand. Go through the numbers from the assorted pack starting with the 320 and making your way up to 2000
after 400
100_0176.jpg

after 2000
100_0177.jpg

Third: WETSAND...
Go through the numbers again in the sand paper. start 320, make your way up to 2000

Fourth: Here is the easy part. Polishing. Use the Rubbing compound first with a dry cloth. I would say somewhere around 3-4 coats with that, and then with the Plastx polish, the same, around 3-4 coats...

And DRY and then YOUR DONE!!! Now your probably wondering where are the the pics for the last 2 steps... well you see 1. the sanding, you get really dirty while doing it, and 2. I kinda forgot to at that point. lol.

but i didnt forget entirely lol. The finished product
100_0180.jpg

100_0182.jpg

Sorry for the glare... After doing this, i realized that this is a REALLY POINTLESS MOD but it looks really cool!! and its no TYC lens but for a diy, hey why not!! And i did it all for $17 :)

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Looks like they need some more work their bro, I can still see the lines and sanding marks

nyknick1015

Reaction score
its not completely completely done cuz i did notice that too, i didnt put it back together yet, im goin 2 the auto store tomorrow to get some plastic polish, like the clear stuff they have in the headlights haze kits, that im gonna put on it... and also my headlights were already scratched up to begin with, i have some deep scratches and small inside the plastic cracks in it so thats prolly what ur seeing... if ur lookin at the lowbeam side, then thats a plastic crack

but im done for the night with it

Last edited:

sikjdm

Reaction score
so are the lines on the inside of the headlight or the outside? sorry, i would go look myself but its too cold outside
:hide:

nyknick1015

Reaction score
yea, its on the inside.... i did both sides cuz my lights were pretty dam dirty from before

kn0x47

Reaction score
if you didnt before, wet sanding with soapy water could help. you'll need to polish thos lenses to really clear them up. nice work tho

Back