repaint or leave it?

datechboss101

Reaction score
Unlike the front bumper, which was repainted by the dealer few months ago, there are a gazillion scratches and paint chips across Lucky... What is the best way for me to go for this? I am thinking about either getting couple spray paint cans, and tons of sand paper to sand the areas by hand or dropping her off at a local body shop and do a color change.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
If your parents don't want you doing work yourself just ask them to pay for a professional paint job.

If it's a daily driver just leave it. Adds character. Get a touch up pen and go to town.

jypatric

Reaction score
If budget is not a concern, have it painted by a pro.

Enne

Reaction score
The best way to go about it is professional paint correction or a repaint by a painter. Don't use sandpaper or touch-up paint. It's more than a novice can handle.

Accordx

Reaction score
Can always try buffing, polishing, and sealing. Depending on the color it could help get some scratches/swirls out and bring some life back into the paint

Enne

Reaction score
We don't know the condition of OP's paint. And I highly doubt OP has the money/time/experience to fully buff and polish a car after filling in paint chips and wetsanding. This is better left to an expert.

NuFinish :rotflmao:

Accordx

Reaction score
Fair enough^^ its possible to do it for less than a full paint job if you've got the time for it though, just putting it out there. Really depends on how bad your paint is and what color it is (sorry I don't remember what color Lucky is). Even without the wetsanding it could help with the scratches. Also imo these cars are getting old, I personally wouldn't spend money on a full paintjob unless it's horrid

Last edited:

Enne

Reaction score
Selene needs a paintjob. Her OEM color is flamenco black pearl and the clear is peeling off every panel. She's sanded down in most places to hide the hard edges under the wrap I have on her. Which is much cheaper than a full paint job by the way lol. Even a full paint correction with rock chip/dent repair would cost a bit so I think Lucky is fine the way he is for now. Silver is the easiest color to hide scratches with, so I don't think it looks all that bad in the first place.

datechboss101

Reaction score
Basically, here is my paint condition... No oxidization from the naked eye, bc car was literally garaged in PA since my bro was way too young and we used the Ody alot...

Paint issues:
1) Trunk got keyed back in either 06 or 07 in Hershey PA (cops were involved)
2) Doors got s*** ton of scratches from door dings and from my bike
3) Trunk & rear bumper got scratched by the garage back in either 04 or 05 by dad closing the garage with the a$$ of the car sticking out in Costa Mesa, San Diego, California

The best way to go about it is professional paint correction or a repaint by a painter. Don't use sandpaper or touch-up paint. It's more than a novice can handle.

Not that many paint shops around the area I live in currently... Probably might end up DMing some homies in Miami for some shops while I am in college.

Can always try buffing, polishing, and sealing. Depending on the color it could help get some scratches/swirls out and bring some life back into the paint

I tried the toothpaste method and it brought a bit of paint back.

We don't know the condition of OP's paint. And I highly doubt OP has the money/time/experience to fully buff and polish a car after filling in paint chips and wetsanding. This is better left to an expert.

NuFinish :rotflmao:

Look at post #10... Money is the issue right now, but I got 1 month of free time before classes start. Plus I gotta do the spoiler on the Rogue still.

Fair enough^^ its possible to do it for less than a full paint job if you've got the time for it though, just putting it out there. Really depends on how bad your paint is and what color it is (sorry I don't remember what color Lucky is). Even without the wetsanding it could help with the scratches. Also imo these cars are getting old, I personally wouldn't spend money on a full paintjob unless it's horrid

Color is in my sig... its Satin Silver Metallic. I am not planning a full paint job, unless I want to paint the car with some dope a$$ color. My OCD is driving me nuts because of the front bumper has fresh paint on it while the rest of the car doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back