dbruskla's 1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6 (56k)

dbruskla

Reaction score
Just earlier this week, I was lucky enough to find a Richie Module locally from someone who ordered it ~10 years ago and never got around to installing it before he sold his car. I am very excited to be able to move forward with the swap

Last edited:

dbruskla

Reaction score
I know it has been a while, school made progress on this very slow and most of the time impossible. Since the last update, I have slowly been fixing up the interior and exterior. Over this last summer, I was able to pick up a second B7XA tranny from the junk yard as a rebuildable core. Then over the course of a few weeks, rebuilt it with:
- Raybestos Overhaul Kit (P/N: ROHK-121) with GPX frictions
- Superior Shift Correction Kit (P/N: STL-HO4-388)
- CT Engineering Transmission Cooler
- Raybestos Magnetic In-Line Transmission Filter (Napa P/N: 1-8721)
- XLR8 75a Engine Mounts (P/N: ATS-110)
- Transmission Mounts (Napa P/N: 644-1637, 644-1641)

I fully cleaned the case and all parts with a parts cleaner, replaced all gaskets and seals, polished all valve body bores, installed updated shift kit parts, and installed the cooler with the in-line filter on the return line just below the battery tray. FYI to anyone that installs the Superior kit, double check the new end plugs for the shift valves, the updated parts have o-ring seals on them. Mine came with the o-rings in the wrong groove, and I assembled the unit, installed it, and found that it would not shift out of first gear and had a low stall speed. Took the tranny back out, and moved the o-ring to the groove closest to the end of the bore away from the spring and valve. Only the nub on the end plug should stick out of the valve body bore, the rest should be flush. I also found that my original '98 B7XA did not have extra lubes and oil-slinger that the '00 B7XA had. I will post up pictures of the various stages of the process when I can.

dbruskla

Reaction score
This was the beginning of the transmission pull process.
View media item 7890Here, the engine and transmission were just about ready to be pulled
View media item 7891View media item 7893View media item 7892This transmission I picked up from the junk yard. It is originally out of a 2000 LX V6 Sedan
View media item 7878Once cracked open, I was glad I did not just cross my fingers and hope it would work
View media item 7904View media item 7879View media item 7884View media item 7885View media item 7886View media item 7887Second Gear was all the way down to the metal on the frictions, severe hot spots found on the steels. The filter and various parts of the valve body were plugged from clutch material. Fluid smelt very burnt during the clean up process.

I used a Raybestos Overhaul kit, Superior shift kit, transmission cooler, external filter, and new mounts.
View media item 7880View media item 7881View media item 7882View media item 7883View media item 7896View media item 7897View media item 7903View media item 7902View media item 7901

Last edited:

dbruskla

Reaction score
View media item 7900View media item 7895View media item 7888View media item 7905
Mostly completed:
View media item 7889View media item 7898Found some interesting differences between my original '98 B7XA and the '00 B7XA I rebuilt. on the left hand shaft in the picture below, there is an oil slinger and feed pipes that are not present on the '98 unit. Because of this, the '98 case end plate will not fit on the '00 unit, as it comes in contact with these components.
View media item 7906
It has been about 1500 miles so far, transmission is crisp and smooth. The XLR8 engine mounts definitely add some slight vibration in the dash at idle, however I like them. The tranny cooler seems to do its job. The shift kit definitely makes the shifts quicker and firmer. It was quite the learning experience and my first transmission rebuild.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Thanks for posting all these pics, very interesting to see all the innards. What durometer are the XLR8 mounts? I have 60a's from Innovative and I hated them at first, but they broke in after a few weeks and the vibration was less noticeable. Now it only shakes a lot at idle with the A/C on.

Shaggy

Fearless Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
View media item 7900View media item 7895View media item 7888View media item 7905
Mostly completed:
View media item 7889View media item 7898Found some interesting differences between my original '98 B7XA and the '00 B7XA I rebuilt. on the left hand shaft in the picture below, there is an oil slinger and feed pipes that are not present on the '98 unit. Because of this, the '98 case end plate will not fit on the '00 unit, as it comes in contact with these components.
View media item 7906
It has been about 1500 miles so far, transmission is crisp and smooth. The XLR8 engine mounts definitely add some slight vibration in the dash at idle, however I like them. The tranny cooler seems to do its job. The shift kit definitely makes the shifts quicker and firmer. It was quite the learning experience and my first transmission rebuild.

Wow, lots happening. Updated pics of your car?

dbruskla

Reaction score
Thanks for posting all these pics, very interesting to see all the innards. What durometer are the XLR8 mounts? I have 60a's from Innovative and I hated them at first, but they broke in after a few weeks and the vibration was less noticeable. Now it only shakes a lot at idle with the A/C on.

I ended up getting the 75a mounts. They broke in a bit, now they only vibrate at idle when not fully warmed up, or when the A/C is on. It does cause the rear view mirror to vibrate slightly when cruising up the mountain passes, but not bad at all.

Back