how to check evap leak at home?

SSMNVCG3

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good way to check for a leak in the evap system at home without a smoke machine? I'm getting annoyed that I can't find the leak and I don't have 100 just to find the leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Evap leak? Thats gas fumes. Using any form of anything flameable would be stupid. Get a black light or led flashlight anf check your purge canister. Its located infront of the rear tires under the left rear door. Any codes?

SSMNVCG3

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
1457 code. I changed the canister and valve That's on it and it worked for about 200 miles then the light came back on today so I'm thinking there must be a leak in a hose or something

Dukebb23

Duke Blue Devils
Reaction score
I ended up having the same code too but checked the evap system and everything was fine.. Then after looking under the car after filling my car up I found that the gas nozzle tubing was leaking. Just went to my local pick a part and fixed it for only 10 bucks. You might check that too but mine was wrecked in that part of the car too.

SSMNVCG3

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check that out next time I get a full tank. Was yours leaking a lot or just a small amount?

Dukebb23

Duke Blue Devils
Reaction score
I really never fill it up all the way I could tell as soon as I put gas in it. It would leak right behind the drivers side back tire. It was an easy fix but took me awhile to figure out why I was smelling gas. It would leak enough for a small puddle of gas once I finished pumping.

SSMNVCG3

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked and everything is good. But to top it all off one of the welds on my exhaust broke and I had to take off the last 4 1/2 - 5 feet of piping so now it's loud as hell and vibrates the entire inside of the car :madrun:

Back