Complete bushing kit availability?

Connie

Reaction score
After driving my new to me old lady driven 2000 coupe, I realized how worn-out and ruined the suspension bushings are on my 2002 coupe. It's literally night and day between the two cars. The control arms, tie rod ends, and struts are in ok condition and have no play, as I have had them all replaced over the last few years since buying the car. Some stuff more than once (upper control arms, rear sway bar links) But the car is becoming rediculously floppy and loose-feeling, and the suspension squeaks when going over even small bumps. It's getting pretty clunky too, which I suspect is strut mounts.

All of the rubber suspension and sway bar bushings are factory original, and after almost half a million hard km, I'm pretty sure it's time for an upgrade. At the very least, a replacement with OEM parts.

I'd like to do ALL the bushings in the front and rear subframes, but ordering everything individually from Honda isn't very convenient.

I have seen kits available for Accords, but can't find a complete kit for a 6th gen coupe. I would prefer polyurethane, but the OEM rubber would be a huge improvement over what's in there now.

Does anyone know of a vendor that sells decent quality complete kits in poly or OEM rubber?

If not, maybe someone has a list of Honda part numbers I would need to get everything replaced?

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
When you say bushings replaced, do you mean the suspension or engine bay or just every single bushing?

Personally, when it came to bushings, I really do not like having to press them in because getting out the old ones is a time consuming job, at least suspension wise, the rest are just one solid bolt on affair with the bushing in it.

If you are not putting down a ton of more power or have a suspension set up you are using at the track on the weekends for some twisty corner fun, you will not really benefit or enjoy polyurethane for the daily affairs of driving around town.
The only parts I would even recommend using poly in is the UCA's since they are more of a up and down motion to maintain.

You can use a harder durometer rubber on everything else that you can find or even already pressed in like Moog problem solver UCA & LCA arms from Rockauto like I did and they are deff up to the task as well, feels more taught and firmer then before and the bushings were not totally worn out to begin with.

Same goes for your motor/transmission mounts, you just don't want the ride to be harsher then it has to be if you are using it daily, plus I have to grease my damn poly bushings all the time because they squeak.
After going threw a rain storm or washing really good in the wheel wells it flushes away all the grease and then the whole squeaky noise going over bumps came back.

The GSR I showed you , I used the problem solver everything bushing wise except for the Adjustable UCA's and rear camber links which were poly, but that car see's some real aggressive corner turning abuse.

If you need help piecing it together I can go over it with you just LMK.

Connie

Reaction score
When you say bushings replaced, do you mean the suspension or engine bay or just every single bushing?

Personally, when it came to bushings, I really do not like having to press them in because getting out the old ones is a time consuming job, at least suspension wise, the rest are just one solid bolt on affair with the bushing in it.

If you are not putting down a ton of more power or have a suspension set up you are using at the track on the weekends for some twisty corner fun, you will not really benefit or enjoy polyurethane for the daily affairs of driving around town.
The only parts I would even recommend using poly in is the UCA's since they are more of a up and down motion to maintain.

You can use a harder durometer rubber on everything else that you can find or even already pressed in like Moog problem solver UCA & LCA arms from Rockauto like I did and they are deff up to the task as well, feels more taught and firmer then before and the bushings were not totally worn out to begin with.

Same goes for your motor/transmission mounts, you just don't want the ride to be harsher then it has to be if you are using it daily, plus I have to grease my damn poly bushings all the time because they squeak.
After going threw a rain storm or washing really good in the wheel wells it flushes away all the grease and then the whole squeaky noise going over bumps came back.

The GSR I showed you , I used the problem solver everything bushing wise except for the Adjustable UCA's and rear camber links which were poly, but that car see's some real aggressive corner turning abuse.

If you need help piecing it together I can go over it with you just LMK.

I've got 4 good engine and transmission mounts in there now, so they can stay. I mean like sway bar bushings, trailing link bushings, control arm bushings, maybe sub frame to body bushings; all that stuff.

I like poly because it holds up. It must be 7 years now since I did the Merkur in poly, and it's just as tight as the day I did it. I see whole poly kits for 2-300 bucks, so why not? Just can't find one for a 6g. If I can find a full rubber kit for cheaper, that would be fine too.

I used boat trailer grease to install the poly on the Merkur, and they don't squeak at all because of that. It holds up to being washed off really well. I do barely drive the thing, which probably has a lot to do with it too, though. It also never sees snow or salt.

I don't really care if Connie squeaks; the general looseness of the car is my issue right now. The rubber doesn't handle the environment here very well; it gets soft or cracks and shrinks, or water gets in and rusts the bolt on the inside, which then tears up the rubber because it isn't smooth. Rubber just just doesn't hold up like the poly does.

With the sub-frames out, I should be able to just burn all the oem stuff out with a torch, and press in the new stuff with lots of access to everything.

Damn that Midnight car....I would have just left it like this if I hadn't of driven that thing and felt how tight it could be....and now it bugs me.....

Last edited:

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Well if you want to go polly ( I can understand the environment issue) and have a good press , there should be no issues, your biggest issues is just fighting to get the old ones out for the most part.

The metal sleeves on the inner race of the LCA bushings can seize to the arm but there is a way around that by burning out the bushing and then making a cut relief with the saw and hammering it out gently to not score the sleeves mating surface.

Sounds like you got this though,
I know how you feel about going from one car to another and it feeling "Sloppy" so to speak, it instantly bugs the snot out of me.

I guess the saying is true , car friends don't let car friends drive stock lol, in one fashion or another :waytogo:

Last edited:

dawg316

Reaction score
even a stock 6th gen handles good with a good coilover or shock/spring combo.

look for loose steering/suspension parts. only thing id ever poly would be maybe a controll arm bushing and thats it. most of the parts in big kits are useless ( example. poly endlinks, poly tierod boots)

i just replaced my upper controll arms with parts store brand controll arms so new bushings new ballljoints withought pressing anything out. and a fresh set of coilovers. she handles like a dream now.

if any one where to make a master poly set it would be energy suspension . but couldnt find it on there site so doubt they made a master kit for 6th gens

Connie

Reaction score
even a stock 6th gen handles good with a good coilover or shock/spring combo.

look for loose steering/suspension parts. only thing id ever poly would be maybe a controll arm bushing and thats it. most of the parts in big kits are useless ( example. poly endlinks, poly tierod boots)

i just replaced my upper controll arms with parts store brand controll arms so new bushings new ballljoints withought pressing anything out. and a fresh set of coilovers. she handles like a dream now.

if any one where to make a master poly set it would be energy suspension . but couldnt find it on there site so doubt they made a master kit for 6th gens

All of the major components are tight (ball joints, tie rod ends); it's all the old rubber bushings (especially sway bar) that are destroyed. The strut mounts are getting pretty bad too, and I have a feeling that at this point even the sub-frame to unibody bushings on the front sub-frame are gone. I'll know more once I have the sub-frame out. But thanks a lot for the input. I'll probably heed your advice and only poly the CA bushings, as I know for sure these are loose too on my car. It has been 15 years and a lot of miles, so you're probably right and maybe I should go with OEM stuff. This is my daily, not a toy, I just don't want to ever have to do it again.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
All of the major components are tight (ball joints, tie rod ends); it's all the old rubber bushings (especially sway bar) that are destroyed. The strut mounts are getting pretty bad too, and I have a feeling that at this point even the sub-frame to unibody bushings on the front sub-frame are gone. I'll know more once I have the sub-frame out. But thanks a lot for the input. I'll probably heed your advice and only poly the CA bushings, as I know for sure these are loose too on my car. It has been 15 years and a lot of miles, so you're probably right and maybe I should go with OEM stuff. This is my daily, not a toy, I just don't want to ever have to do it again.

You do know that Rock Auto carries MOOG Problem Solver sway bar end links and sway bar bushings for our cars. Might be worth having a look around. They even give part numbers you can use somewhere else. I haven't gone looking for strut mounts yet, as I haven't really had a need for them.

Connie

Reaction score
You do know that Rock Auto carries MOOG Problem Solver sway bar end links and sway bar bushings for our cars. Might be worth having a look around. They even give part numbers you can use somewhere else. I haven't gone looking for strut mounts yet, as I haven't really had a need for them.

PartSource here sells them too. I have problem solver UCAs and swaybar links already. The bar bushings are probably cheap; maybe I'll call and order some this weekend. Didn't know they made those too.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
PartSource here sells them too. I have problem solver UCAs and swaybar links already. The bar bushings are probably cheap; maybe I'll call and order some this weekend. Didn't know they made those too.

Yeah, I can buy a pair of MOOG bushings from Rock Auto cheaper than I can buy 1 Duralast bushing from Autozone. :banghead: I already did the fronts on my wife's 00, and I have a set here for doing the rear of my 99 when I have the rear sub out.

mrz80

Reaction score
You moved forward with any of your bushings yet? Interested in hearing how it's going for you. This is a very timely thread. I've got to Do Something™ about the clunks, squeaks, and bouncies going on in my 01 LX sedan's rear end. Left rear's sitting about 3/4" lower than the other three corners, so strut/spring are def. suspect. Plus, I can see the rubber deteriorating on a few of the bushings back there. Moog to the rescue maybe? :D

One thing I've wondered about since swapping my sway bar and associated bushings - would it be possible to pull those poly bushings and drill a grease hole through them, then drill and tap the mounting brackets for grease nipplese so I don't have to pull 'em all apart every couple years to kill the squeaks?

Back