Richard's '02 V6 Coupe EX-L

Brad2274

Reaction score
Re: Sil2DrV6's 2002 Accord Coupe EX-L V6

i know it sounds strange, but i greased up the chrome that i wanted to keep before taping it off, as i had a problem with the tape peeling off the chrome on my first blackhouse, i just kinda wiped my hand/face grease on it and it really worked(its not as gross as it sounds i promise) i was afraid to use anything like pam or butter that can be really slippery and not allow the tape to stick

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score

i know it sounds strange, but i greased up the chrome that i wanted to keep before taping it off, as i had a problem with the tape peeling off the chrome on my first blackhouse, i just kinda wiped my hand/face grease on it and it really worked(its not as gross as it sounds i promise) i was afraid to use anything like pam or butter that can be really slippery and not allow the tape to stick
Wait.. So, you're saying that you weakened the adhesion of the masking tape b/c you had a problem peeling them off. Am I correct?

If that is what you mean, it's not strange or gross, my friend. Whatever works the best is good for you. But idk if I should be doing that since I'll be using the ordinary masking tape that's easy to peel it off. Plus, I'm a bit OCD yet lazy to clean off the grease lol. (Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant tho.)

Brad2274

Reaction score

Wait.. So, you're saying that you weakened the adhesion of the masking tape b/c you had a problem peeling them off. Am I correct?

If that is what you mean, it's not strange or gross, my friend. Whatever works the best is good for you. But idk if I should be doing that since I'll be using the ordinary masking tape that's easy to peel it off. Plus, I'm a bit OCD yet lazy to clean off the grease lol. (Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant tho.)

didnt have trouble removing the tape, its that when removing the masking tape after paint, the chrome will peel off with the tape sometimes in the process, its the worst in the turn signal bucket, grease stopped the tape from sticking too much, still had a few spots peel up though.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

^That happened to me when I redhoused. I ended up buying chrome paint and painting the signal buckets. I actually liked it better because the duller finish evened out the light distribution more.

A good alternative is low tack painters tape and stick pieces to the carpet or your shirt before putting them on the headlight. I didn't think of that until afterward lol.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score

Hmm.. Okay, so there might be a bid of a problem, when peeling off the masked sections after being painted..

I was working on the masking process yesterday, and I was sticking 'n peeling them back & forth to perfectly mask them, but I didn't really see any chrome surfaces coming off tho.. Maybe the tape I have is already less sticky.

Oh well, if it ever happens, I'll spray off the air duster can closely so it gets cooler 'n become easiert to peel them off. (That's how janitors scrape off gums on a floor.) Or, let the housings chill in the outside before removing the tape.

I really appreciate your headsup, gentlemen. ;)

JV6

Reaction score

I was in the same boat but my chrome came off when I was using a microfiber clothe to clean off the dust from cutting/retrofitting. It didn't matter cause I was blacking housing it anyways but that was some weak chrome.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score

Damn.. Sounds like 6gen chrome housings are really fragile then...

Well.. My masking tape ran out, so I went to Home Depot to get another one. They were selling my original one so I took a look at it's label, and It said "medium adhesive". I looked for the one w/ the least adhesive, but this was the only best choice they had. Some other ones were even labeled as "heavy duty".

I have a feeling that my tape will be fine, but I will surely keep my fellows' words in mind tho.

EDIT: Just dbl checked my used-up original tape & the new one I just bought. They're different.. My original one says "Scotch-Blue Painter's Tape for Delicate Surfaces #2080". I guess I'll hold on for working on my other housings tonight w/ my new tape.. Gonna get this #2080 tape tmrw. I could work w/ my new tape, but I'd rather have the equal outcome on both housings, just to be safe.

Last edited:

Brad2274

Reaction score

good idea^ i had the rubbing off problem as well when i was doing my retro, just kinda rubbed off where i handled it too much, it was the worst on my shrouds but my silver sharpie is concealing the spots :lawl:

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score

good idea^ i had the rubbing off problem as well when i was doing my retro, just kinda rubbed off where i handled it too much, it was the worst on my shrouds but my silver sharpie is concealing the spots :lawl:

Happened to me too. I told TRS about that, they gave me new shrouds though. Then I used latex gloves to keep my finger prints off it. Worked

Back