99' j32 swap to 99' accord coupe

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I tried searching but only manual swaps came up.

So my cousin has a donor 99' Acura TL 3.2 automatic. And my other cousin wants to swap the j32 into his 99' accord 3.0 automatic.

Is this swap gonna be a simple swap?

Varnell

Reaction score
With the auto ecu, harness, engine, trans, and sensors I don't see why it would be any more difficult than the manual J32 swap. Personally, I'd stay away from the J32 auto transmission if you're looking for something reliable. Seems like a lot of work to gain 25hp. The biggest draw to the CLS 6MT upgrade isn't the 60hp gain, it's gaining the third pedal to make use of it.

Last edited:

Connie

Reaction score
I hate to dig this up, but was wondering if the Type-S automatics had identical transmissions as the non type-s cars?

I recently found an 02 Type-s for cheap and was wondering if it'd be worth my while?

I want the extra 60hp. Automatic is fine for my highway cruiser, my sports cars are all manual XD

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
I hate to dig this up, but was wondering if the Type-S automatics had identical transmissions as the non type-s cars?

I recently found an 02 Type-s for cheap and was wondering if it'd be worth my while?

I want the extra 60hp. Automatic is fine for my highway cruiser, my sports cars are all manual XD

Those transmission had issues. lack of a 2nd gear oil jet if I remember correctly. Acurazine.com would have more definitive info on it - 2nd gen CL/TL section.

CL and TL used the same tranny. Not really sure on the type-s, think it may just be the shifter has manual mode that makes it a Type S, along with a few other upgrades besides the tranny shifter. 99% sure though they are the same.

You could use the automatic tranny from a 03-07 Accord, 04-06 Acura TL/TL-s, Honda Odyssey 02 thru ...? can't remember the cut off year, maybe 06/07. The bell housing is the same for all of those years so it will bolt right up to the J32A1/A2 block. Acura changed the bellhousing for their models in 07.

** The TCS and Immobilizer systems are different between the Honda and Acura. This will throw codes with a CEL and TCS light. You will lose TCS.
TCS is controlled by the multiplexor on Honda, controlled by the ECU on Acura. Honda uses the Type 4 immbolizer system, Acura Type 3.
So if you have emissions testing or Tech inspection, good luck.

Mechanically everything bolts right in. Electronically, that's another issue which I can't help you with. It's not 100% plug and play.

that's about all I have for ya....

Connie

Reaction score
Those transmission had issues. lack of a 2nd gear oil jet if I remember correctly. Acurazine.com would have more definitive info on it - 2nd gen CL/TL section.

CL and TL used the same tranny. Not really sure on the type-s, think it may just be the shifter has manual mode that makes it a Type S, along with a few other upgrades besides the tranny shifter. 99% sure though they are the same.

You could use the automatic tranny from a 03-07 Accord, 04-06 Acura TL/TL-s, Honda Odyssey 02 thru ...? can't remember the cut off year, maybe 06/07. The bell housing is the same for all of those years so it will bolt right up to the J32A1/A2 block. Acura changed the bellhousing for their models in 07.

** The TCS and Immobilizer systems are different between the Honda and Acura. This will throw codes with a CEL and TCS light. You will lose TCS.
TCS is controlled by the multiplexor on Honda, controlled by the ECU on Acura. Honda uses the Type 4 immbolizer system, Acura Type 3.
So if you have emissions testing or Tech inspection, good luck.

Mechanically everything bolts right in. Electronically, that's another issue which I can't help you with. It's not 100% plug and play.

that's about all I have for ya....

OK, and thank you SO MUCH for that information. I'll do some digging and see if I can find out what else I need to make this work. 03-07 automatic v6 accords are a dime a dozen here, so finding a transmission should be easy. That's one good thing about the rust belt, where people basically throw cars away once they start getting a little crusty around the edges.

I assume I would be using the entire CL-S engine harness and ECU from the donor car, this immobilizer issue comes up because the dash harness is different (the one for the gauges and ignition module inside the car), correct?

What exactly does this immobilizer do? Do all cars have it? Can I remove it? The only thing I would have to do to bypass it is make the ECU have power at key position 2 and make the starter spin at key position 3. But I assume there is more to it than that, isn't there?

Don't care about TCS (I prefer not having it), but the CEL will be an issue if it's throwing an emissions code. We do have "conditional pass" rules here in Ontario, where you only have to spend up to a certain amount before they will "let it go", so to speak. Basically a bribe in my opinion, but them's the rules here....We only do emissions testing every 2 years, and I have my next one coming up, so it'll be 2 years before it needs to go again. I believe the "maximum repair amount" is $500, so it'll be $500 every time I need a new sticker after the swap, which I am willing to deal with if I have another 60hp on tap.

If I can pick this Type-S up for $500 or something I'll probably buy it anyways. I'm sure worst case I could part it out and get my money back.

Last edited:

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
I assume I would be using the entire CL-S engine harness and ECU from the donor car

Correct.

this immobilizer issue comes up because the dash harness is different (the one for the gauges and ignition module inside the car), correct? .

No, the "type" of immobilizer system each one uses is different. Dash harness has nothing to do with the immobilizer system.

What exactly does this immobilizer do?

Verifies the code it has programmed in the immobilizer chip located in the ECU against the code in the Ignition Key Chip. If it matches, the car will start up. If it does not match, the car will not start. Starter will engage but the fuel and spark won't turn on.

Do all cars have it?

Nope. I don't think that technology came around till the late 90's ?

Can I remove it?

Yep. or you can have the Key reprogrammed to match the immobilizer in the ECU.
I think there is also a workaround involving 2 keys and something else, but that $hit is "ghetto".

The only thing I would have to do to bypass it is make the ECU have power at key position 2 and make the starter spin at key position 3. But I assume there is more to it than that, isn't there?

This question is beyond my scope of knowledge.

Connie

Reaction score
Thanks again for trying to answer my question. I assume another issue that is going to come up will be that of having my Accord cluster work with the TL/CL harness and ECU. I will have to do some more research to find out exactly what, but I'm sure it's not plug and play.

By "do all cars have it?", I meant all 6th gen accords.

Where can I find it on my car and how can I remove it? I really have no desire to keep it. Check out my ride, nobody is gonna steal Connie!

Back