Need help on diy SS clutch line

dcmystery21

Reaction score
why are you getting a stainless steel line when like 70% of the factory line is metal? ss still flexes while metal doesnt so wouldnt you lose responsiveness?

kashmeister

Reaction score
why are you getting a stainless steel line when like 70% of the factory line is metal? ss still flexes while metal doesnt so wouldnt you lose responsiveness?

First off, this is for my 5 speed swap. I have some stuff from a 90-93 accord, but i dont see an easy way to connect it all.

And I think the flex would be the same or less, if you get teflon ss braided lines. the teflon is stronger than rubber and the braided ss prevent it from expanding.

And clutches use less psi compared to a brake system, so I don't see a huge problem. Also, eliminating the clutch dampener might even help it be even.

kashmeister

Reaction score
I got the fittings today. The Russell part# is 640281. The label says its made for "Chrysler/Jeep #3AN Male Flare".

It is the right one! Success! It was around $25 shipped for a pair (including the quad rings).

All that's left to do is make sure the master cylinder uses the same thing :)

I have the pin for the slave cylinder, it came with my tranny.
I just need to get the clips and pins for the master cylinder.

I ordered a Centric master cylinder, but we'll see if it comes with the stuff...
the Centric slave cylinder only came with an X-ring.

Here are some pics (the corroded OE line was bent by a forklift when the tranny was put inside my friends jeep.) I tested the fitment and it is perfect.

img0004up.jpg

img0005st.jpg

Last edited:

kashmeister

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Just purchased some more stuff.

60in of Earl's 3AN SS Line (summit part# EAR-63010160ERL)
ear-63010160erl_w.jpg

3AN female-male 90degree adapter (for master cylinder, part#EAR-966303ERL)
ear-966303erl_w.jpg

kashmeister

Reaction score
I got the master cylinder today. I noticed that the adapter I bought (flare clutch) didnt fit the master cylinder.

the slave cylinder bore: 0.8125in

the master cyl bore: 0.6875in

The Russell fitting for the OE end fits the slave like a glove, so its .8125in. However, the master cyl may need some work. I can either bore the hole bigger and risk getting metal into the cylinder, or i can try to sand down the adapter fitting to fit.

What do you guys think?

kashmeister

Reaction score
I bored out the master cylinder today. I had to sand down the fitting with a dremel too. it fits a slight bit loose with the gasket, but hopefully it holds the pressure. anyway i can test this before i put in my car?

I seems to hold the air after pushing the piston in, but i wanna try a liquid (other that brake fluid to keep the messiness low). What should i use?

kashmeister

Reaction score
I tried testing it.

I hooked it up to the fluid resivior, and i pumped it with DOT3 brake fluid.

Once it started coming out the fitting, i put my thumb over it and i pumped a few times and i held the piston in. no fluid came out and when i took off my thumb, it all shot out. hopefully this ghetto *** master cylinder will hold up.

otherwise, I'll have to get a new master cyl and a REAL 98-02 clutch line.

Back