question about post processing

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
ok well i am on a stock photo website and finally got my application accepted to upload some photos...but about all of my new uploads were declined because of "artifacting"

I was wondering exactly what that is, and how it can be prevented...this is something i found but not exactly sure what causes it to happen//

Compression artifacting can be introduced by the camera and/or by your image editing software at lower quality settings. Also, re-sizing, re-sampling, and re-saving can all degrade the quality of a JPEG image, so one should be careful about re-saving JPEGs

is it doing it because i save in jpeg? also what should i be saving it as to prevent this...any help would be appreciated..i can provide the pictures if that would help

xluben

Reaction score
Is their preferred format JPG? What resolution are the images?

finch13

Reaction score
You can save in a lossless format, which basically just clips pixel depth down to 8-bit (like JPEG, without loss in quality due to compression)... I prefer PNG and TIFF myself, although TIFF can get quite large.

What program are you saving them with?

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
resolution was 300dpi...but i never touch that...so i have no clue if that is awful or good

but all of the saving and editing is done in photoshop cs2....i usually open up the picture then adjust some basic stuff like contrast and colors then save as a jpeg...but i guess somewhere they are losing their quality...

these are the pictures they were talking about at full size

inspired1

High Society
Reaction score
Yes, artifacts is what appears for the "lossy" format files to save space. Generally you lose detail and the more you compress it, the more you lose. I.E. JPG settings range from 1-12 for a reason.

Anyways, PNG is great, and it allows alpha transparency in images too.

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
do they want watermarks on them? my guess is no for stock photos

no they don't allow them but i sent in the pictures without watermarks

Yes, artifacts is what appears for the "lossy" format files to save space. Generally you lose detail and the more you compress it, the more you lose. I.E. JPG settings range from 1-12 for a reason.

Anyways, PNG is great, and it allows alpha transparency in images too.
i will have to give that a try then...i always saved in jpg which i guess is why there is a quality loss..but they said if i just fixed the artifacting then they would look over the photos again...been trying to get my photos uploaded forever on here...istockphoto

inspired1

High Society
Reaction score
i will have to give that a try then...i always saved in jpg which i guess is why there is a quality loss..but they said if i just fixed the artifacting then they would look over the photos again...been trying to get my photos uploaded forever on here...istockphoto
OHhh istockphoto. I use that site a lot.

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
:D i have never used it before but the pictures on there are amazing...do you use it just for photos or are u a member on there also?? It took me a long time to finally get my application accepted on there

xluben

Reaction score
i always saved in jpg which i guess is why there is a quality loss..but they said if i just fixed the artifacting then they would look over the photos again...been trying to get my photos uploaded forever on here...istockphoto
http://www.istockphoto.com/faq.php#faq62

The site says they can ONLY be saved as JPG's.

It also says they don't accept photo's of flowers....

:D i have never used it before but the pictures on there are amazing...do you use it just for photos or are u a member on there also?? It took me a long time to finally get my application accepted on there
How much do they pay?

Back