Power steering hose leak - V6

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Did a search and found 2 threads, one sort of related.
The manual is not very helpful when it comes to explaining how to replace the power steering hose - which is leaking in the rubber/steel connection at the pump - It looks like a real pain to do.
Put the car up on ramps and can't see anything from underneath, looks like I will have to do it all from above.

Let me know if there is a better way - the 2 clamp bolts down by the rack look like the hardest things to get out - and they ran the return hose over the top of the passenger side bolt... brilliant!

Put your ear plugs in, there will be a lot of cursing tomorrow :furious:

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
So I had a small brainwave and removed the wheels and put the car up on jack stands. That allowed me to get an open ended 10mm on the passenger side P clamp bolt from underneath - barely. Took forever to undo one flat at a time.
Went to Auto zone an found a hinged 10mm crowfoot wrench (single one of these), that was able to get the other P-clamp bolt out of the driver side - again, 1 flat at a time. Figured I was free now.

put a 14mm open ender on the tube nut at the steering box and couln't get it to move. Decided that if I pushed harder on it I was going to round off the hex. Went to sears and found a 14mm flare nut wrench - That didn't shift it, so I put an extension tube over it and leaned as hard as I could on it. Nothing.

Right now I'm stuck - letting it soak in WD40 overnight - perhaps I will have another rush to the brain by tomorrow. Wonder if it would move after heating with a heat gun. Lots of rubber nearby, will need to be carefull.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Put pressure on the wrench holding the nut. Tap with a rubber mallet. You should be able to break it free this way.

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Thanks, but there was no room to swing a cat, let alone a mallet.

I was able to get the nut free after applying some heat to warm up the steering box, then put the wrench on and waited a couple of minutes (that cools the nut down). Then with one last (if I can't do it I will have to take it to the dealer) push, it broke free. and the peasants rejoiced!!

Of course that wasn't the end of the trouble, next was - how do I get the tube out without bending it as that is how the new one needs to go in. It was quite tricky and I needed a helper.

I took pictures during this adventure, so I will write it up and add it as a DIY for some brave soul, should they want to take this on.

Having gone thru this, I would recommend most people should just let the dealer struggle with it. Took me about a day and the book was no use, the parts fische picture was more helpful. IF I had to do it again, I might be able to do it in half a day, but it's such a pain to do, it may just be worth paying the dealer to do.

...oh, the trick for getting the tube out is to unhook the steering box end and slide it down the back by the fuel line track, lift up the flexible hose end and extract it from the left side under the car - while your helper guides the flexible end thru the various catching parts.

Putting the new hose in - Feed from the drivers side, over the gearbox cable, behind the mount before going up the right side of the engine. (pump is on the right in the V6)

Not a fun job.
Rich

Link to write up in DIY section http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35615

Last edited:

nhoz22

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this old thread.. does anyone know the diameter of the return hose? And what kind of hose i can use to replace it? I mean does it "have to be" from honda?
4351d09e-7d28-473f.jpg

Number 15. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

hondahana

Reaction score
when i did all my powersteering i used TASauto and the local autozone. if you tell the part you need they my have it just has to be ordered. also if its just a rubber hose your local parts house should be able to help you.

on another note for the high pressure line off the pump. if your replacing it because you know the part is bad i just cut my line to get rid of the damn thing. its not as hard and some make it out to be just a time consuming job. all tools needed to do it can be purchased or loaned from your local sears/autozone.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Any auto parts store like autozone, advanced auto, orielys, can get you anything you need for the power steering and hoses.

pyromonkey721

Reaction score
I am tackling this right now this weekend. Wish me luck

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I know it's old but...

Wd40 = not for stuck nuts/bolts
Pb blaster / equivalent is

As far as hoses, take it off, take it in, say "I need this. Thank you." And pay the man.

<---real technician, tree shade mechanic, and parts hawker (really)

Back