Varnell's '02 Coupe EX 5spd 56k

Varnell

Reaction score
Car has maintained a rough idle and sluggish acceleration. I've just recently gotten around to looking into it. Cleaned the EGR, nothing. Changed a clogged injector, nothing. Did a compression test and found that #4 is only putting out 20psi.

I've been doing some research and may end up soaking the cylinder with ATF for a day to see if it helps. Otherwise I'll be deciding between replacing the engine or selling the car as is.

rooky

Reaction score
Nice ride dude you got your money's worth on the outside.

Varnell

Reaction score
Thanks! It was great for the year I drove it. I actually miss how much more nimble and balanced the chassis feels with an i4 rather than the V6.

kn0x47

Reaction score
your car's are a bit confusing sense they look the same. Looks good tho!
Did you swap some parts over to the v6 car? where'd your wing west side skirts go?

Varnell

Reaction score
your car's are a bit confusing sense they look the same. Looks good tho!
Did you swap some parts over to the v6 car? where'd your wing west side skirts go?

I can understand the confusion. lol. And thanks!

I swapped over pretty much everything that I put into the i4. And most of those parts came off my sedan. I still have the sideskirts in my garage, but haven't scrounged up the courage to follow in Adam and Brent's footsteps yet.

Varnell

Reaction score
Finally bypassed my stripped transmission fill bolt. I took off the air intake and unbolted the VSS speed sensor. It's actually easier than using the fill bolt, though you won't know when the transmission has had it's fill. In my case I didn't feel comfortable putting in more than a quart.

Now on to the misfire in cylinder #4. Back when I was driving this car I put Restore in the crankcase every two weeks hoping the misfire would go away. I didn't notice any difference.

I've read that removing the spark plug and putting Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil directly into the cylinder can build compression. People have let it sit anywhere from a day to four days and seen compression restored. However, I'm nervous after reading that putting Seafoam into the crankcase and leaving it is a bad idea as it will corrode the seals. My question is, will it do any harm (ie eat away seals) by putting it directly into the cylinder and letting it sit before smoking it out?

Back