Varnell's '99 J37 Stroker 6MT Coupe EX-L

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Re: Varnell's '99 J32 6MT Coupe EX-L

11917732_1630738090537874_520944470_n.jpg

[/IMG]

Why is there a stock coupe just dumped in the rear? Coupe is loking good. You are a lot lower than I thought too

Varnell

Reaction score

Why is there a stock coupe just dumped in the rear? Coupe is loking good. You are a lot lower than I thought too

Thanks! Yea, it's pretty low. Hit a shredded tire last week and lost my lip. lol

Hydros? :rofl:

The stock coupe, my i4 that used to have the lip kit, wheels, etc is on jack stands in the front. I've been trying to jb weld a socket to the stripped transmission fill bolt.

Varnell

Reaction score

The night I drove this car home the J30 oil pan was pouring out oil. Every time I stopped I had to put 5 quarts of oil into it. On my way home from work today I hit a nasty pot hole and smoke started billowing out of the car. I immediately stopped and got out to assess the damage. Not to my surprise, I walked around to pop the hood and saw oil pouring out from under the car.

My phone was dead and I was still a few miles from home, so I hopped back in knowing the car wouldn't turn over after losing anymore oil. Yes, I realize this wasn't ideal, but not having a cell phone and having a car that can't be towed stuck on the side of the road wasn't ideal, either.

So I drove with my hazards, smoke pouring out. Low oil light came on and the power cut off. I'm really hoping the sensor stopped the car before serious damage was done. Ran to the nearest gas station and picked up 5 quarts. Unscrewed all caps before dumping them in. Hurried to start the car knowing 15 seconds slower would mean running back to pick up 5 more quarts of oil. She started and made it back to my curb. Just ordered an oil pan for $100 and paid the extra $40 for 2-Day shipping. Here's hoping she's okay, though I know some damage must have been done. Looks like I may be searching for an extra J32 engine soon.

Now if I could only get the transmission fill bolt off my i4 to get some MTF in that thing.

james'99

Reaction score

Man, that stinks... I would go to a shop that has a borescope that you can inspect the cylinder walls with. You can also do a compression and leakdown test. Have you done it on that motor before?

Why can you get the fill bolt out of your tranny? Maybe a long shot, but remove the shifter linkage and fill through there?

Varnell

Reaction score

I plan on having it looked at. I think it'll be driveable which will give me time to prep another one. I've already found a local J32 from an auto type S with 50k miles. I may look into cams, rods, pistons, etc while the engine is out this time.

It's my fault for not having a spare oil pan. This was pretty much inevitable. I'll try that with the shift linkage. I tried to JB Weld a socket to it but it was too smooth. I had planned on trying again after cutting some indentions into it before taking it to a shop.

Jordan_H

Reaction score

Wow that sucks. Before I put my car back on the road I'm making a skidplate like white6GAV6

Varnell

Reaction score

He has a skid plate now? Last he told me he busted his oil pan getting into his driveway. I'm considering a skid plate, which will be hard since the J32 sits lower than the subframe. Maybe fabricating an oil pan that doesn't sit as low.

White6GAV6

Reaction score

Busted my oil pan with a skid plate lol. Low life, or something like that.

I'm actually in the process of making a new one out of 1/4" steel and it wont have any bolts/screws where they can be scraped flat. When I get it done making it I'll post some pics and stuff.

You could raise the motor a little to make it sit even/barely higher than subframe. Depending on how much hood clearance you have.

Jordan_H

Reaction score

Busted my oil pan with a skid plate lol. Low life, or something like that.

I'm actually in the process of making a new one out of 1/4" steel and it wont have any bolts/screws where they can be scraped flat. When I get it done making it I'll post some pics and stuff.

You could raise the motor a little to make it sit even/barely higher than subframe. Depending on how much hood clearance you have.

How will you go about mounting it then? I wonder if steel will be pretty heavy? Maybe I'll just use steal to protect on the oil pan then?

Back