painted the valve cover this weekend

thejameshimself

Reaction score
valvecover.JPG

valvecover2.JPG

i painted the inside flat black... its a bit hard to tell from this pic

had to do it in 90+ humidity, but thankfully it didn't orange peel

the letters are a little rough, i'm going to give the paint a week or two to set then finish them off

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
very good job... u must have prepped that really good for it to have a smooth finish like tht :thumbsup:

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
i like it!! What all did you do for the prep work on it?? I want to paint mine but don't feel like doing that

WillT.

Reaction score
Ooohhh, very nice.:thumbsup: At first I wasn't too sure about that color, but then it started to grow on me.

thejameshimself

Reaction score
that came out nice, is that british racing green?:cool:
Of course... (dreams of painting car british racing green w/ 2 cream racing stripes (and, no, that doesn't mean bird crap...))
looks "earthy"

CaptainPlanet.jpg

very good job... u must have prepped that really good for it to have a smooth finish like tht :thumbsup:

i like it!! What all did you do for the prep work on it?? I want to paint mine but don't feel like doing that

here's how it went:
1) removed valve cover and got all the oil i could out
2) struggled endlessly to get the old crappy headgasket off - thank god for dremel...
3) degreased the top and sanded down the letters until they didn't look corroded anymore

sanded.JPG

4) added paint stripper - stripped with a combination of stainless steel brush, coarse steel wool and a 6-in-1 paint tool

strip1.JPG

5) repeated step 4 for the remainder of rocky III (i started at the first fight)
6) cleaned up all the excess paint pieces and scrubbed it down one last time with steel wool

strip2.JPG

7) covered the letters with petroleum jelly using a toothpick (tedious?)
8) laid down two coats of primer and 3 coats of british racing green... akamanayeha! (see above)
9) let it dry overnight, then using a toothpick chiseled away at the letters (this was my preliminary work, i'm going to let the paint set before i go all the way to the edges)
9) cleaned/blew out the inside of the valve cover with compressed air (there was a lot of paint bits)
10) replaced the spark plug gaskets (ripping one to shreds in the process)
11) reinstalled (see above)

two cents:
1) i wouldn't use duplicolors clear coat. it caused my test section (the black part) to orange peel. this may have been due to the high humidity, but i still can't recommend it
2) tape is your friend
3) good idea to replace gaskets/ adjust valves while doing this
4) be thorough about getting crap out of the inside of the gasket, otherwise it's going to be swimming around your engine till it gets to the oil filter
5) you can't have a good paint job without good prep work
6) i've got to give props to filtsai.com even though he kinda cut some corners
7) use thin coats otherwise you'll get runs. and move you light source around to make sure you don't miss any spots

yellowfever

Reaction score
really nice write up i appriciate it as i am about to do this next week. Im gonna be using wrinkle paint though. british racing green is a bold move sir, it makes me think of a skoda octavia. the patrolium jelly trick, ive never heard of it before??? did it work well for you? I have a ulev cover so theres alot more letter work to be done there and i really hadnt decided on how to go about keeping paint off of it. Also how much did all your gaskets cost?

Back