Engine Theory, Build, Etc Discussion.

capsidx

Reaction score
I have a 4dr f23 and I’m planning on swapping to a j series, j35 tbe. I was wondering what would be the best j35 to swap in.

That would get expensive real quick. Not only do you have to swap out the motor, you’ll need a whole lot more. New trans, new shift linkage, new mounts, new axles, new subframe, everything in the engine bay has to be swapped around, new ecu (which you can’t use without the key, so you’ll have to get an obd1 with a base map if someone is willing to make it for you) upgraded brakes, the cluster has some differences so expect things to not work, you’ll probably have crazy codes so you’ll be in limp mode (presumably). You’ll probably need custom axles as everything the j35 came in is way wider than the cg6. New fuel pump, and probably other things I forgot to mention.

You need to have a REALLY good handle on wiring to even begin the process. Then you’ll need to find a shop to make those custom axles for you and you’ll definitely need custom mounts and a grinded subframe. Also it may not even fit between the chassis rails so expect to have to work around that. You probably won’t be able to close the hood and other minor things lol.

DJL

Reaction score
1999 Honda Accord ULEV-VTEC LX 2.3l f23a? Or base f23? Well to the point is I'm looking to see what DOHC head is compatible with the f23 that is in my 1999 Honda Accord an more I think how is this not possible or just not done yet. So please no fixed mind set.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
1999 Honda Accord ULEV-VTEC LX 2.3l f23a? Or base f23? Well to the point is I'm looking to see what DOHC head is compatible with the f23 that is in my 1999 Honda Accord an more I think how is this not possible or just not done yet. So please no fixed mind set.

If you have a lx yours is f23a1. A dohc swap has been done its referred to as a G23 basically a h22 head on a f23 block. Google g23 swap and you find tons of info. I would suggest turboing your f23 as they do good with boost, and in the long run would be cheaper if you piece together everything.

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
If you have a lx yours is f23a1. A dohc swap has been done its referred to as a G23 basically a h22 head on a f23 block. Google g23 swap and you find tons of info. I would suggest turboing your f23 as they do good with boost, and in the long run would be cheaper if you piece together everything.

Agreed. Hate to admit it, but a lot of the built cars of all types in my parts are running budget turbo builds with ebay Chinamen turbos. Invest most of your budget into the fuel side of things (injectors, pump, potentially E85, etc) and a good tune and it'll make good, reliable power. Unless you're just going for different or unique, forced induction is the tried and true way to go

Back