2001 V6 coupe or keep old honda?

act

Reaction score
hi guys,

i have 2001 1.8i vtec 5d hatchback sedan accord(eu). i love how the us coupe version looks and i also dont need sedan so i was thinking about switching to v6 3l coupe.

so ive been lurking this forum for something like a week and im terrified with all that A/T thing. so i want to know your opinions. i cant decide.

im not even sure what exactly i want from that car. i love how it looks. love the interior. i dont mind A/T but now im scared. i have manual on my old honda but i dont care if i drive stick or not. i dont have any plants to tune engine and stuff like that. just daily commuter and 1.8 also feels underpowered in some situations. not sure if coupe will be different since you guys say its lazy and slow(prob gonna test drive it this weekend but still want to know your opinions)

yea and the v6 coupe im talking about has 153k miles and is like 1.3k us
ive no problem with my 193k miles 1.8 but sometimes i wish it had more power.

so yea tl;dr - is it worth looking into it just for the sake that i love how it looks(eu ver sucks balls) and prob want more power vs 1.8 or just stick with 1.8.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you are a car enthusiast, I can't see keeping a car you aren't happy with. But you take a risk with the auto as you know. Course $1300 isn't much for this car, a transmission rebuild will cost the same or more. If you want one, find an example that has comprehensive records and a good history. Then take care of it and drive it in ways that are gentle on the trans and help it last. You may get one that is fine, not all of them fail. Unfortunately it's a crap shoot.

If you don't have the stomach for the possibility of spending more money on the car after you buy it, then I'd keep what you have. Unless your current car is falling apart or is costing a lot of money, it's usually cheaper to keep what you have rather than buy something else. Especially since you just want a daily commuter car, I'd keep the 1.8 and save up for something that will be both dependable and have more performance.

Regardless, still try driving one. They don't have any 5spd coupes there?

act

Reaction score
fml i bought it. had test drive. fallen in love with the car its in good condition. transmission seems ok - he told me that its on its second transmission. its not slipping(just first gear slighty when its still cold and you add more gas(read floor it but not from stop) but other than that it changes gears normally) or doing weird noises and stuff.

just one thing im not sure. there is some xe.... oil in transmission
should i change it to honda atf anyway or leave it as it is and change it in next interval?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Well that was fast. Post a members ride thread for it and I hope it's a good car for you, congrats.

There is a lot of info on transmission issues, fixes, etc so maybe read up on that. Also here is a thread where people give their tips on how to drive the car to make the auto transmission last the best they can.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44620

Mikey

Reaction score
Honda ATF is the best thing for it. Don't flush it. Just drain the old fluid and put in new fluid. Buy a lot of it and do this a couple times. After the first fill, drive it around the block a few times then do another drain and fill. Drive it around again and then do the third drain and fill.

I know it's too late now but you could have swapped in an F23 or H22 motor. Especially since you're in Europe already, I'm sure there are plenty of euro r motors available.

Back