Another New Guy from CT

jimralphy

Reaction score
So a little about me.

I am 35 and have 2 kids. I have been driving around the same 2003 Corolla S since 2003. That car has been rear-ended so many times it is starting to split in half at the rear doors, so it was time to get something different.

Looking around, I sort of ended up falling into this Accord. I couldn't pass it up, one owner bought new in 99. An older couple owned it and was kept most of its life in a garage. Tragically the driver of the car suffered from dementia, and hadn't driven it for 5 years (ish). I was happy to take this car that would last me another 5 years easy, for the low price of $1,500.

The car is a black Accord EX 4cyl with a 5sp. 177k Miles on it, all the maintenance records, grey interior. Car is great, runs well, no drops of oil, quiet down the highway. All it is missing is the 21st century amenities.
I'll add some pictures later (in 7 days)
IMG_5273_zpspz8m7vrd.jpg
IMG_5274_zpstz7zbair.jpg
IMG_5377_zps1i3yp5nh.jpg

Anyway, I added a new Pioneer HU with touch screen and blue tooth. Because it came with the capability, I installed a rear view camera too. New speakers to update the almost 20 year old stock ones, and a small D-class amp with a pair of cheap 8" subwoofers.
IMG_5270_zpsh2s0z7zf.jpg
IMG_5272_zps2ttxep6z.jpg
IMG_5276_zpspukaghkh.jpg
IMG_5305_zpsles4uf3k.jpg

I have been checking the fluids since it is a new to me car every gas up, which is around 350 miles. Only getting about 28ish mpgs is rough after driving the Corolla that got 36+ all the time. Everything is going great! Loving this car.

Enter mile 180,000... I go to do the 3K oil change and figure on switching over to synthetic. I crawl under the car, and within the last 200 miles, I seem to have developed an oil leak.

What is going on here? The oil isn't coming out from anywhere on the engine. So I go back above it and find out right quick oil is coming out of the radiator. I've lost maybe a pint or so from the engine into the radiator. But it was enough to sludge up and spill out of the radiator overflow container.
IMG_5412_zpsodmgclto.jpg
IMG_5411_zpswyiwwjly.jpg

So, I price out parts to do the head gasket. Head gasket and seals, water pump, timing belt, belt tensioner... normal things for a 200K work over. Those prices are coming in at 300-400$ all told.

Anyway, now I have a JDM spec f23a instead of the f23a1 that was in the car when I bought it. As well as a new clutch and pressure plate, because you just never know.
IMG_5504_zpswdahcw7z.jpg
IMG_5506_zps5b4arrvy.jpg
IMG_5507_zpsg8e6wqji.jpg
IMG_5508_zpsn3inbllo.jpg
IMG_5509_zpswmrdk0dh.jpg
IMG_5510_zps3ajv4gbs.jpg

I had also noticed that there was some slight chatter over bumps, so have begun replacing parts. I put in new wheel bearings and have replaced the stock suspension with Tein Street Advance Z coilovers. I have an older set of 6 spoke 17" wheels in the shed, but they are 5 lug. I just do wheel bearings, and damn that timing!
IMG_5505_zpsddy7ozno.jpg

Anyway, I will be surfing around the site to learn a few things.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Fearless Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Post up pics of your car when you can!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I'm 35 and have two kids myself ha. Sounds like you found a good example of this car, and also glad it's a manual.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i had a 93 corolla and it was a beast haha.. got 2 kids here too.. glad u got the 5 speed, and it sounds like the car is in good condition... welcome!

kn0x47

Reaction score
welcome to 6ga! there's tons of info on this site but if you can't find your answer then make sure to ask. mine's a 99 4cyl 5spd too. 255k on the original motor/tranny

jimralphy

Reaction score
Couple more days until I can put up pics. Right now I am sort of kicking myself for not looking into wheels first. As I just did wheel bearings, putting on 5 lug hubs is sort of irritating. I'll keep looking for the right size wheels I want.

I'll say I have about 53K on the motor (assuming JDM imports really are between 30-50K), and 183K on the car as a whole. It is in great condition except the odds and ends I have needed to replace after the car sat for those years.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Couple more days until I can put up pics. Right now I am sort of kicking myself for not looking into wheels first. As I just did wheel bearings, putting on 5 lug hubs is sort of irritating. I'll keep looking for the right size wheels I want.

I'll say I have about 53K on the motor (assuming JDM imports really are between 30-50K), and 183K on the car as a whole. It is in great condition except the odds and ends I have needed to replace after the car sat for those years.

I kind of did rims first, in that I swapped the originals for the set I had on my 97 Accord (which came off my 92 Geo Prizm), as they're dual bolt pattern rims. I just got some winter tires for the 99 Accord last month, and this month it's getting an exhaust system done. Next month will be front rotors and hub bearings, as I hear the left front rumbling a little, plus I did the 12 and 6 grab and shake, along with a 9 and 3 grab and shake, and felt some excess play. But then after 233,000 miles, I think it's due for some parts to be replaced. ;)

Back