Recommend set up for daily driver. SQ and quality bass.

maximus2k

Reaction score
Been out of the car audio scene for a few years now. Recently got a 98 accord EX 4 door for daily and the some of the speakers sound they are blown so I'm looking to upgrade the entire set up. Basically looking for SQ and a subwoofer set up for deep bass. Thinking about removing the rear 6x9 speakers and getting a nice set of components for the front and quality subwoofer(s) in a ported box. Should I go with 2 10s or 1 12 sub?

Budget: 1000.00$ (more or less depending on if its worth it)

What I currently have: Alpine 9887 HU

I will probably have a shop do the install, sound deadening, tuning and build me a ported subwoofer box since I don't really have the time to do this.

Recommendations on a set of front components, subwoofer(s), and one AMP to power everything? Let me know if I'm missing anything important here.

Reaction score
i like my setup. i drive home from work with the radio up and by the time i get home my ears ring for a while. what i did was found some stuff at my local audio shops that i thought might do the trick then went home and found it all on amazon and bought it there. save a lot of $ that way. i installed it all myself so i saved a ton there, the whole thing is simple and while i know how to hide wires and solder it's not the prettiest thing in the world but it's highly functional and sufficient for me. remember when building your system that high priced equipment isn't everything. sometimes it just need to perform a duty and the expectation is where you come in. just take your time and shop and use google and youtube if you don't fully understand everything. that will help you make a better decision on which components will build your sound. make sure that you get the right amps to match your speakers(i like running my amps at 75-80% to avoid heat and increase longevity). make sure that if you buy a 4 ohm sub the amp is also 4 ohm or can be wired to 4 ohm.

here's what i have in my 99ex sedan that works for me, plenty loud and super clear:

RF 165-s components up front, direct fit
RF 2 way 6x9's in the rear, 1654-s(i think) direct fit
RF p3d4-10 sub in a ported box, i'd stick with sealed if i were you
for mids and highs i run a 640w pioneer 4channel
for sub kenwood xcelon 1000w 2 channel

all purchased for about $560 with wires and sub enclosure, that should leave you about $440 for deadening and whatever else you might need. hope this helps, good luck with your setup!!! :rockit:

lashlee

Reaction score
Turbo's on the right track. With some good equipment and a solid install will work wonders for great SQ. I would go with 12's if you are into deep bass, and good thinking on ditching the rears so you can spend some extra cash on the fronts. I would stop by your local specialty shop to see what sounds good to you, and what they are most comfortable with in terms of reliability and durability.

Last edited:

maximus2k

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with ported vs seal subwoofer enclosure set ups? I've always had a seal subwoofer set up in the past but thinking about trying out a ported enclosure this time.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
^Depends on the sub, there are applications for different box setups.

For SQ, you want a box that is sealed/small port.

For SPL, you want to look in to a larger port.

Alot of subs cna be put in a sealed or ported/vented box, but then you may be limiting the performance of the sub.

I currently have to 15" Kicker subs in a sealed box and they are nearly working to their potential. My trunk isn't big enough to put them in a ported box that would maximize what they are capable of, but I do plan to get a new box done that will have either the minimal recommended port size or slightly bigger.

You can also look in to various sub sizes and what is recommended for each as far as optimal enclosure setups.

I would suggest you check out diyma.com as well.

Turbo5upra

Reaction score
Single 12 in the right box will have a ton of output- key is not taking up your whole trunk!

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Single 12 in the right box will have a ton of output- key is not taking up your whole trunk!

Exactly, there are 10/12" subs out there that will more than do the trick.

A stealth enclosure is something else you may want to look in to.

I know there are at least a couple people on here running that type of setup.

danmccormick87

Reaction score
If you are wanting to go back and forth between SPL and SQ on a sub box, get a changeable port designed box. And with the right box, proper amp, and an awesome sub, you can get away with just one 12".

Here's an example, although it might be overkill to some... My old system in my G6

schmiddr2

Reaction score
I have 1 12" sealed and it gets loud enough to exceed my other speakers in decibels, so good enough for SQ. Ported is good as it can get as loud as sealed while using less power (assuming the same sub in both setup). With that said, loud to some people is not loud to others, but I choose one 12". I have the GTO 1214D, $100.

I like 5-channel amps. Small and install friendly. For a budget amp the ASA1100.5x is a great $200 amp.

I use the JBL MS-62C. Maybe you will like these maybe you won't, but this is where I would splurge if you are going to. They can be had for $150-200.

Next step is to seal up those doors. You need some sheet metal, sheet metal screws, and like 4 sq ft of sound deadening to do this.

Knuconceptz has good OFC wire for a good price. Or you can go with welding cable for a bit less: http://www.wireandsupply.com/www_wireandsupply_com_welding_cable_s_22_htm_s/22.htm

Make sure you have a good battery.

You don't need a cap, in case you were wondering.

And the 9887 is a great starting point. I had all of the above installed with a 9887 running it 3-way and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Back