Talontsiawd's 1971 Jaguar XJ6

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Some members already know about my whip, many don't, I decided to start making a thread so people could see it, to keep track of progress, and to stay motivated.

One thing about this project, it doesn't have a deadline, it doesn't have a budget, it doesn't necessarily have an ending. It is just a labor of love (and often hate). It's very expensive to maintain and even off the show room floor, they were not reliable and almost a project car brand new.

What it is:
1971 Jaguar XJ6 w/ 4.2L I6
Condition: 2 out of 10 (should be a parts car)

Cool features:
Many people don't get why people enjoy these things. They are really ahead of their time and actually drive like a modern car

-Power Steering (rack and pinion)
-Independent Rear Suspension
-2 Gas Tanks (I can fill up on either side at the pump)
-Dual Carbs
-DOHC
-Power Windows
-Air Conditioning

Some back story:

My Grandfather bought this car new in 1971. In the mid 80's, he decided he wanted a new car. My dad loved the thing so much that he wanted it so my grandfather gave it to him. At that time, it was still in good condition, outside of the paint and was actually driven from Ohio to Cali.

My dad worked on it every now and then but he really didn't spend the time on it. As a kid, it was rarely running so we would play in it and what not. I would have a fond memory of it even if I never had the chance to own it.

Anyway, it sat through at least 10 years of total neglect, just sitting. At 15, I started having interest in cars and my dad and I took it on as a project. I had never worked on a car before this one. It took us at least 3-4 months, working only on weekends to get it started. I wasn't allowed to work on it without my dad so it took a long time to get it to even move under it's own power.

In high school, I started to really learn mechanics and drove it almost every day. It was my DD except for long trips. Then I got my Talon, moved away and it sat again. Last summer I got it running really well, and I am taking the project more seriously.

Pictures:

dscf2070o.jpg

dscf2071q.jpg

dscf2075.jpg

dscf2073r.jpg

Things to do in the near future:
-Replace Radiator Fan
-Replace Sway Bar Endlinks
-Put old alternator on (tried a conversion kit, can't get it to fit)
-Possibly put back in AC (Taken out for conversion kit, doesn't work)
-Take crap out of the trunk
-Replace belts

Last edited:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
oo lala nice, I am excited to see the plans your have in store for this.

Keep 2 things in mind:
I have had the car for 15 years and this is where I am at. Don't expect anything to be fast paced lol.

It's a Jaguar. For every 1 thing you fix, 3 other things will break. It's like climbing a hill, only to continuously fall back down it.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Love old Jags. I think I've said to you before I've always wanted a 89-91 XJS. Your XJ6 is actually in good shape from the looks of it, body-wise - just the paint is old. The interior looks immaculate but maybe it's hard to tell?

Anyway, thank you for making this thread, I am following your progress with this beautiful car.

Fun fact: just learned recently there is a company that you can pay to take everything that was wrong with old Jags (wiring, cheaply made parts, etc) and make it rock solid. I think they're only in the UK though. It was a Top Gear ep.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Love old Jags. I think I've said to you before I've always wanted a 89-91 XJS. Your XJ6 is actually in good shape from the looks of it, body-wise - just the paint is old. The interior looks immaculate but maybe it's hard to tell?

Anyway, thank you for making this thread, I am following your progress with this beautiful car.

Fun fact: just learned recently there is a company that you can pay to take everything that was wrong with old Jags (wiring, cheaply made parts, etc) and make it rock solid. I think they're only in the UK though. It was a Top Gear ep.

XJS's are probably my second favorite Jag, post late 60's. 50's and 60's Jags are so cool.

The body isn't bad, it has a dent in the quarter panel and someone recently hit the front fender. I don't have much rust, only bad spot is in the core support. Floors are good for the most part but have had a shotty repair, probably when my grandfather owned it.

The wiring on my car looks home made. Almost everything is just a normal terminal. If you disconnect a wire, you better know where it is going to go back. This is not a car where you just unplug a harness and know that it will just reconnect. It doesn't have harnesses.

ActNow

Reaction score
This looks like fun. Any minimal progress you make on this car will be an absolute treat to see. I'm looking forward to the restoration.

And when I seen that radio box in the passenger seat...

I thought two things 1.nice nav/radio cause i have the same thing and then 2. he better not be putting it in the dash. That's a big no no!

talontsiawd

Reaction score
This looks like fun. Any minimal progress you make on this car will be an absolute treat to see. I'm looking forward to the restoration.

And when I seen that radio box in the passenger seat...

I thought two things 1.nice nav/radio cause i have the same thing and then 2. he better not be putting it in the dash. That's a big no no!

That's in the Honda, the box is just in the car/storage bin. It actually fits perfectly in the glove box though (had to try it lol)

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
wow, this is gonna be one hell of a project... body looks mint! can't wait for you to restore it!

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I worked on her for a bit today, got the alternator on as well as the belts for the fan and power steering. I decided to hose her off and wanted to take a picture.

frontpdc.jpg

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Sounds like you're in (been in) for the long haul. Hopefully you'll get it where you want it and get to enjoy driving it as much as you enjoy(ed) fixing it.

Back