D2R bulbs in our housings

Mikey

Reaction score
Thoughts? Opinions? Experience?

Im looking around DDM and i noticed they have D2R bulbs. I searched around 6GA and i thought i saw something that said D2R wont fit in our lights...?? Couldnt really find too much info about whether or not they fit or how they look, etc.

I was going to go with 5000K but these were an option I wandered about.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Unless you have retro's/other projectors that take D2R bulbs, only 9006 fit the headlights. And I think D2R's actually need a projector to work the way they're suppose to, relative to output, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
I was given this piece of advice:

"There are 2 types of factory HID's. D2R and D2S. D2R bulbs are optimized for reflector housings, and D2S are optimized for projectors. However, D2R are fairly uncommon nowadays as they have been pretty universally replaced by D2S setups. Some examples of factory D2R cars are the original couple of Lexus, Acuras and Infinitis that had HID's as an option, or as standard equipment. The 2nd Gen TL, 1st gen G35, Euro and Japanese 6th gen Accord SIR-T/Type R come to mind, as does the original HID fitted LS400, GS300/400, and some Benz models.

However, D2R and halogen reflector assemblies are not the same.

Since the HID bulb puts out significantly more lumens at 35W than the halogen would at 55W, the reflectors must be specifically optimized to run D2R bulbs. Because of the greater amount of total light output, the HID reflectors spread the light over a larger and less focused area, leading to better overall illumination. If you put D2R bulbs in a halogen housing, then you tend to get glare and hot spots because the light is too intensely focused for that housing, which was the result of having to aim the light over a smaller area, and more intensely, resulting in the problems associated with HID plug and play retrofits. It is also why it is not quite as simple as an OEM manufacturer just swapping in HID bulbs, and is why HID is typically at least a couple hundred dollar option on cars that offer both. They have to change the reflector/projector in addition to the bulb system in order to comply with DOT regs."

swollen_cu

Reaction score
Unless you have retro's/other projectors that take D2R bulbs, only 9006 fit the headlights. And I think D2R's actually need a projector to work the way they're suppose to, relative to output, but I could be wrong.

d2r are used for cars with reflectors and HIDs. G35s, altimas, etc...

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
That is interesting. Maybe I mixed up R and S.

I guess you'd have to see the back of a D2R bulb to see if it would have proper fitment in the back of your housings, but I'd still have to say you're better off going with 9006 due to our reflectors in regard to glare. But hey you could look into it.

I wonder how a D2R and 9006 HID bulb compare in terms of output, as in how much brighter is the D2R...

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
just ask ogliquidmetal...i heard he knows everything about hids :lawl:

but seriously...you'd have to rebase the D2R to 9006 or buy rebased bulbs for them to fit the reflectors...like these http://www.autogoody.com/servlet/the-591/9006-Rebased-Rebase-9005/Detail i would have to dig out a 9006 to match up to the D2S i have sitting around...the D2 may be a little longer. so, you'd have to double-check that the D2 wont hit the shield in the lowbeam housing.

in the end, you'd still be left with a 3000 lumen bulb in a housing designed for like 1000. a well-designed, 4300k 9006 bulb (if theres such a thing :lawl:) should also produce around 3000 lumen like an OEM D2. IF i were going to do hid in the stock housing, i'd much rather get a rebased philips bulb and use an OEM ballast. more expensive, sure, but rated for around 2000 hours :run:

Back