Million mile club

Connie

Reaction score
In order to try to prolong the longevity of the transmission, I have been doing a drain and fill with 3 quarts of DW-1 every year. It is probably overkill since I only drive about 7k miles a year and take the train to work, but I figure it is cheap insurance. I also found it much cheaper to buy the DW-1 from my local Honda dealer by the case instead of buying 3 bottles at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever since my first transmission failed at 344k and was replaced with a junkyard unit of similar mileage, I've been doing a dw-1 drain and fill every 30k km, which works out to about twice a year for me.

It still shifts fine, and the trans in there has similar mileage to the car; >500k km. Costs about $30 Canadian for the 3 bottles of fluid from Honda. Like you said, cheap insurance.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
With my ridiculous daily 200+ km round trip to work, the damn odometer rockets up pretty fast. Seems like Connie always needs an oil change or new tires hahaha.

I am jealous of you guys and your sub-20k mile a year lives sometimes. If you wanna destroy cars, get a commute like mine lol.

Oh I used to have a 70 mile 1 way trip to work, 6 days a week. That got old real quick. Did that for over 2 years. Changed jobs and cut that ride in half. Stayed there for about 5 years and changed jobs again. That nice short 10 minute ride was nice until they closed the doors (I even went home for lunch). Then I started at a place that was about 15 minutes away. They relocated about 6 miles down the road to a bigger building. It's now an 18 minute commute. :)

datechboss101

Reaction score
Ever since my first transmission failed at 344k and was replaced with a junkyard unit of similar mileage, I've been doing a dw-1 drain and fill every 30k km, which works out to about twice a year for me.

It still shifts fine, and the trans in there has similar mileage to the car; >500k km. Costs about $30 Canadian for the 3 bottles of fluid from Honda. Like you said, cheap insurance.

Come to speak of D&F, I need to do another D&F soon, as I only did 1 D&F at the dealer while getting the timing belt replaced. Also, I think I also have to do the D&F on the Rogue's CVT, as I am not sure how much longer that CVT is gonna last as we are putting ~20k-25k miles on it/him per year.

Kimbo80

Reaction score
Come to speak of D&F, I need to do another D&F soon, as I only did 1 D&F at the dealer while getting the timing belt replaced. Also, I think I also have to do the D&F on the Rogue's CVT, as I am not sure how much longer that CVT is gonna last as we are putting ~20k-25k miles on it/him per year.

Is there a chance your transmission fluid can run dangerously low with the axle seal issue you have been having for sometime now?

datechboss101

Reaction score
Is there a chance your transmission fluid can run dangerously low with the axle seal issue you have been having for sometime now?

No, its at normal level. Its just the axle fluid thats low, unless if Honda made some type of direct connection between the ATF and the CV axle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Connie

Reaction score
No, its at normal level. Its just the axle fluid thats low, unless if Honda made some type of direct connection between the ATF and the CV axle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah the axle grease and ATF don't mix. There's no connection. Axle seals and CV boots are completely separate issues.

Kimbo80

Reaction score
On one of the O.P.’s posts on Drive Accord, he had a slow transmission fluid leak. I can’t remember if members over there or the dealership thought his inner axle seal was leaking transmission fluid, where the inner axle slides into the transmission housing. If the leak hasn’t been repaired/sealed and is still leaking, I don’t see how the transmission fluid can still be at normal levels. I don’t think his issue is with the cv boots on the outer axle, because the fluid was red, similar to DW-1 fluid.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
If my Camry was still in good condition body wise I would have driven it for the next 20 years. The transmission was damn near indestructible and the motor as well. I had complete faith that tranny and motor would have made it to 500k miles easy. The rest of the car needed major attention that I did not want to put money into.

To be honest I have only done one drain and fill and that was on the Camry. The transmission fluid was black haha. But it ran like a mad dog.

I don't count a manual tranny as a real drain and fill. It's just gear lube.

But these damn auto Accords are plagued by the terrible transmission.

Connie

Reaction score
On one of the O.P.’s posts on Drive Accord, he had a slow transmission fluid leak. I can’t remember if members over there or the dealership thought his inner axle seal was leaking transmission fluid, where the inner axle slides into the transmission housing. If the leak hasn’t been repaired/sealed and is still leaking, I don’t see how the transmission fluid can still be at normal levels. I don’t think his issue is with the cv boots on the outer axle, because the fluid was red, similar to DW-1 fluid.

I never read his posts over there.
If that's the case and the fluid is red, then yeah it's definitely a axle seal leak and not a CV issue.

Those seals are like 6 bucks, if they are the little round rubber ones like most cars use. Just remove axle, pick old seal out, push new one in and reinstall axle.

The only red fluid in the car should be the trans fluid, unless someone used the wrong power steering fluid.

Enne

Reaction score
The only red fluid in the car should be the trans fluid, unless someone used the wrong power steering fluid.
Isn't the brake fluid red too? Haha.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/53-6th-generation/478001-tranny-leak.html

>>"So today I went to move my car so I can go for a bike ride around the trail nearby, and I happen to see a leak coming out of my car. I checked both the AT fluid and engine oil on a paper towel (not recommended), and got a touch of the liquid that leaked to the garage floor, and it matched perfectly with the AT fluid. So is this leak really bad for the transmission? I am getting it fixed this Saturday at the dealership.

Not sure what leak this is. Dealer fixed every seal on the car and its still leaking. What is this leak? "

908c65ee24fab94276649b7615c78bd1.jpg

>>"Found the culprit for the leaks without any jacks... just have no clue what the hell this thing is called."
be3899877b4c792d8b40361cdaea14aa.jpg

(That's the sway bar)

>>"The saga continues even after the "repair" was finished."
a9f7401450f9c695d2d8b73bba12c57b.jpg

User jb1331: "This is most likely transmission fluid from one or both axle seals. If you are having persistent fluid leaks from an axle seal even after installing a new seal, then 1.) the seal was not installed correctly, or 2.) it is likely that the carrier / differental bearings are worn causing excess play on the output shaft causing the leak. This situation will only get worse over time and the bearing fragments will spread throughout your transmission.."

Back