leak behind timming belt cover

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
as title says i have a leak ive traced it to the timing cover

more searching has concluded that it is behind the timing cover

now for question

what seals am i look at as far as normal wear for a car that has 200k miles on a f23

im pretty sure it not my head i have no other mech. issues as far as nocking smoke so on and soo on

another question is is this something i cld do at tha house or should i do it at the shop with a lift and ect. any help would be appreciated

001Stunna

Reaction score
why not take the timing cover off and follow the leak. i believe its just two bolts and clips holding it on.

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
i havent had a chance gets home late from work
will do tho

so im pretty much have to remove timming and balance shaft belts to fix the leak

great. i just replaced thos 10k miles ago

001Stunna

Reaction score
i havent had a chance gets home late from work
will do tho

so im pretty much have to remove timming and balance shaft belts to fix the leak

great. i just replaced thos 10k miles ago

it all depends where its leaking from. you should be able to take off the upper timing cover without taking much off; it should give you a better view.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
what is leaking? i imagine its oil. could be the valve cover gasket as well

I'd start with the valve cover gasket and work your way down. The cam side of the camshaft doesn't really have a seal, it's more like a sealed bearing I think. That part doesn't usually leak. Don't rule it out though without checking. If you can see oil from outside of the upper timing belt cover, no way it's the balance shaft seals - they are UNDER the lower timing belt cover.

Back