Gauge Cluster Advice

BigWurm01

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching this website for the past month or two & am now the proud owner of a 2002 Accord Sedan EX (MT) that I purchased two weeks ago. I'm already putting together my fantasy list of modifications/upgrades.
One of the first things I'd like to change is the gauge cluster (not a huge fan of the amber needles) & need some advice. I have heard it is possible to swap in a cluster from a 01-02 coupe which has the grey face w/red needles. Is this true? Anyone also have ideas where I could pick up a coupe cluster for a good price, and what do those clusters look like at night?

Thanks in advance for your help/input.

Arun

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
i wanted to do this as well, but i wasn't sure if it's plug and play ... couldn't we just swap over the gauge faces instead of the whole cluster

BigWurm01

Reaction score
I'm looking for whatever option is cheapest & easiest...if it's possible to get the gauge faces separately that would be awesome. Looking for info!

F23A1AT

Reaction score
I would look into doing LEDs in the cluster before swapping the faces or the cluster out. They are much cheaper and easier to install, and to remedy if you grow tired of them. I know of one difference off the top of my head right now that wouldn't allow the 01-02 clusters to work in a 98-00. The temp sending unit works on a completely different circuit and would require special equipment and wiring to make it work.

edit now I see you are '02 :hide:

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
can anyone else chime in on this, if it's pnp i might hit the junk yard and try to find me a 01-02 coupe this weekend :)

BigWurm01

Reaction score
I thought about doing LEDs but I emailed back & forth with a rep from LEDAutomotive.com & he said that it was not possible to change the needle color on its own...the entire cluster color would change.

Basically I'm happy sticking with the stock cluster background color but would love to have red needles. What to do, what to do...

F23A1AT

Reaction score
remember those fake stained glass things that used to be sold in arts and crafts stores, try taking the orange off with nail polish remover and then use the red paint from them.

TheHunter

Reaction score
The v6 and i4 clusters are different. The 98-00 and 01-02 clusters are different. If you have a v6 01-02 sedan and want to go to coupe, I'm pretty sure the cluster will work great except of course you'll have a little coupe picture with 2 doors instead of 4. I swapped from 98 to an 02 cluster, and as a result my temp needle doesn't work anymore. I also put red LED's in because I love red. But swapping the cluster alone will get you the red needles you're looking for. The only other thing you should remember is your mileage will change with it haha. What mine looks like right now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-n7F_OTegk

In short: I think you shouldn't go from i4 to v6 cluster wise or 98-00 to 01-02 cluster wise. Stick in those categories and AS FAR AS I KNOW (not 100%) it should be ok.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
i'm currently in the process of getting my gauge clusters redone with white LEDs. I think i have one DOA LED, and another LED is working intermittently.

but that's besides the point. this weekend i will be taking apart the entire cluster and using nail polish to paint the needles red. i'll take pix of the final results and post up in here ;).

pic of what my cluster looks like currently with the LED mod.

33062881.jpg

TheHunter

Reaction score
The only problem is once you paint the needles red light won't shine through them right? What I wanted and I assume the OP is red light up needles.

Back