Opinions on "JDM" F23a

fallout09890

Reaction score
So I did a compression test on my engine today (has 202k) and all 4 cylinders read 140-145 psi. I know the minimum limit is 135psi. So it got me to think that since my current engine has a rear main seal leak and a clutch thats about to go out, I could opt to swap a "jdm" f23a. I just wanted to know if you guys have any experience with jdm motors specially the f23a. Ive done some googling about jdm swaps in general and pretty much gotten mixed opinions about it. Some have had totally horror stories and some turned out pretty good. I was looking at a motor from Nagano USA in Manassas Virginia. They're selling for $350 and claim that the motor has less than 40k (i know this is bs). They also say that the compression test is 210psi, though I think they did a wet compression test to boost the number. Is this worth it?

http://www.naganousa.com

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Probably not. There is not much difference in our engines when it comes to USDM vs JDM. They are about the same. Just save yourself a headache and get one that doesn't have a bs history, they are cheap.

JDM_Rook

Reaction score

001Stunna

Reaction score
As for jdm engine mileage the idea that they are low mileage all relies on the fact that...

-Japan has stricter regulations than we do. Their sha-ken law requires inspection every 2/3 years with costs for the inspection ranging from $800-2500. This does not mean that people cannot swap OEM parts to pass inspection and then swap their aftermarket parts back on afterwards. After all we do the same in here.

-People most often use transit to get to work and from work, hence this usually means less use of their vehicles.

-Traveling japan from north to south is less than 3000km. This gives a rough idea of how much mileage someone living in japan can put on their car.

-Assuming someone travels 10000km/year in japan which probably quite a lot for them. Normal range for a 1998 engine would be (16 years x 10000km) 160000km. This does not mean however that someone can not travel more or less.

That said you should do your own due diligence in picking a suitable engine and carefully inspect it before installing. Looks for signs of leaks unless they've washed the engine(some places do). Take off the valve cover and inspect. Make sure all sensors are intact and nothing is broken. Make sure all connectors are not cut or ripped. Do a compression test & of course ask what warranty comes with it, it's usually at least a 2-3 month warranty. If things look good then clearly before you install it on the car change any easy access seals, timing belt, water pump etc.

fallout09890

Reaction score
How long do you guys think my motor would last with its current compression numbers. Honestly this motor has been problem free. I only thought of an engine swap because my mechanic said he'd charge me the same for labor for a swap or the rear main seal/ clutch replacement.

001Stunna

Reaction score
How long do you guys think my motor would last with its current compression numbers. Honestly this motor has been problem free. I only thought of an engine swap because my mechanic said he'd charge me the same for labor for a swap or the rear main seal/ clutch replacement.

Just ride it till it dies and start putting money aside for that swap or possibly even other car if you're tired of the accord by whenever it dies.

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
I would say keep driving on your current motor. I've seen stock accords last well past 300k with proper maintenance.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using Tapatalk

Gmoney

Reaction score
well guys i actually think i got a steal on a jdm f23 for 300 from an engine shop here in nj they were asking 350 but i was able to knock it down should be in by friday sooo i shall tell you guys how it goes

Back