Oil problem... on top of transmission...Under driver side

Dubislife

Reaction score
Hey guys hopefuly someone can help. I have a 2000 accord ex couple 4cyl.So around 2000 miles ago i changed the oil for the first time since i recieved the car. The oil was supposedly changed 1500 miles before that but the car sat for a year so it was time for another. The oil was really low before changing it but i didnt think too much of it. Well 2000 miles after that i'm back at a very low oil level. I took a look today and the only thing that i notice is the top of the transmission is covered in a dried black soot, which I think could be oil. The bottom of the transmission looks fine so im not sure what is wrong... If anybody could help me out with my problem i would greatly appreciate it. This is my first car and I hope its nothing too serious.

Edit: No check engine light on either.
Edit: Under driver side this is what the liquid(possibly oil) looks like but down the length of the car(found on internet)

http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/4gMK2KxULqqEEOVY.huge
buqz.jpg

gzaf.jpg

19x5.jpg

7ong.jpg

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Oil problem... on top of transmission

The ONLY way you're going to find a leak if there is one is if you first clean the crap out of that engine bay/engine. Get some good degreaser/soap/solvent and a power washer and go to town on it a few times. Then, keep an eye on your oil level and look for leaks.

Dubislife

Reaction score

okay will do, just wondering if its a common problem because it seems a bit odd to me.

Dubislife

Reaction score

Okay after going to look again i realized that the entire top side of the transmission is covered in black so this must have been going on before receiving the car, but it is caked. I will clean it for sure, but if anyone knows a more direct cause of the problem please repond! bad picture to explain area....
x2fh.jpg

xci.ed6

Reaction score

Distributor o-ring leaks on top of trans often, but it usually looks like fresh oil wherever the leak is. Wash the engine bay down, look all over for fresh oil.

xci.ed6

Reaction score

I doubt it. No oil pressure in manual trans.

Dubislife

Reaction score
I dont believe thats the biggest of my worries. The car has a power steering leak so i fill it up every now and then, no big deal. The problem is what i thought was power steering fluid seems to be engine oil running down the length of the driver side. It has turned to a sludge that i can almost guarantee is engine oil. Would this be the oil pan gasket? hopefully? the engine from what i can tell look pretty clean.

Dubislife

Reaction score
Could it be the vtec solenoid?! I cleaned off the transmission but it got too dark to check the seals.

001Stunna

Reaction score
On the transmission side most usual leaks are
-distributor inner oring
-distributor outer oring
-vtec solenoid spool valve engine mating gasket
-vtec solenoid spool valve upper gasket
-valve cover gasket
-oil pressure sensor(if leak is behind the engine, above oil filter and drips down where engine mates with tranny)
-main seal(if leak is seen on the bottom in between engine/tranny mating)

Back