EASY QUESTION Resetting Distributor

nwcg3

Reaction score
Im replacing the distributor on a 2001 honda accord 4cyl. I removed the old one but the rotor on the end has rotated some. Im referring to the piece that goes into the camshaft end.

the end piece of the distributor can really only go on 1 of 2 ways.

Any ideas how to figure the setting on the rotor? I want to have it set right before I even attempt to fire it back up

Thanks!

james'99

Reaction score
You need to know what cylinder is ready to fire on the old distributor. You can pull both caps and easily compare to see where it needs to lie. Make sure both interior rotors are positioned the same and then the key should go right into the cam.

nwcg3

Reaction score
Now for the x factor, I don't have the old distributor.

I pretty much have a new distributor that needs to go into the engine. But i have no way of knowing which way to twist the little end piece on the distributor, the piece that goes into the camshaft end.

Are you saying that I need to remove the cap and there is a mark or some sort to correlate the position of the rotor with the little rotor on the end of the distributor?

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
the 'slot' thing only goes one way. it's actually:

/-\
|_|
-O-
|_|
|_|

if that shows up ok, one side is tapered. It only goes one way. If you try to tighten it down if inncorrect, it will crack the cam. It just *pops* in correct.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Look at the end of the cam shaft in the engine. The slot is offset on one side. Position the distributor the same rotating it by hand and gently attempt to place it in. It should go in easily and not need be forced.

Re-align by re-positioning the distributor and retry if no go.

ie. I googled this picture, but you can see the slots are offset to the bottom for example, hence making it only go in properly in one way.
maxresdefault.jpg

xci.ed6

Reaction score
nice pic!

Fine about offset, I obviously agree that I was off, maybe D-series were tapered, idk.

james'99

Reaction score
Now for the x factor, I don't have the old distributor.

I pretty much have a new distributor that needs to go into the engine. But i have no way of knowing which way to twist the little end piece on the distributor, the piece that goes into the camshaft end.

Are you saying that I need to remove the cap and there is a mark or some sort to correlate the position of the rotor with the little rotor on the end of the distributor?

Too bad you don't have the old but you are definitely in good hands it seems.

nwcg3

Reaction score
Look at the end of the cam shaft in the engine. The slot is offset on one side. Position the distributor the same rotating it by hand and gently attempt to place it in. It should go in easily and not need be forced.

Re-align by re-positioning the distributor and retry if no go.

ie. I googled this picture, but you can see the slots are offset to the bottom for example, hence making it only go in properly in one way.
maxresdefault.jpg

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! THANKS SO MUCH! Now I can get her on the road!
How did i not see that?!

nwcg3

Reaction score
thanks everyone for your help, I knew I could rely on you guys!

Hopefully i can repay the favor someday! :favorites13:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
This is random, but...

I bought a 91 Civic for cheap! I paid $100, cause it didn't run. Didn't know it didn't, so I trailer-ed it home, I already had an engine for it.

They had worked on it, not a technician. In an hour, I found the dizzy spun 180* off, it had cracked one of the cam 'tangs' off. So I spun it around, it had one cam thing left, but it started. So, I gave it to my bro, stock cracked cam. It ran ~40k miles longer and he sold it. We lost track of it, but damn...

A Civic that ran with no money in parts, for $100. What a deal!

Last edited:
Back