Ways to prolong the life of our AT tranny

briansan

Reaction score
i mean, i'm speaking from hindsight. i totaled my car about a month ago and now i'm just roaming these forums sadly reminiscing the days of my 6g av6 glory...

Cip

Reaction score
I have an 02 auto, the special edition and I sometimes feel slipping, but forsure I feel jerking from P to D. Also idles with a small but noticeable vibration, enough to vibrate the steering wheel.
While I'm driving and let go of the gas I feel a small jerk and then it slows down rather than just coasting, is that normal?

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
I have an 02 auto, the special edition and I sometimes feel slipping, but forsure I feel jerking from P to D. Also idles with a small but noticeable vibration, enough to vibrate the steering wheel.
While I'm driving and let go of the gas I feel a small jerk and then it slows down rather than just coasting, is that normal?
I would inspect 'n change the fluid, if it's old. As far as the vibration goes, your engine mount (bushings) could be damaged; There shouldn't be any vibrations caused by AT issue when it's idling. If the car slows down rather than coasting, your wheel alignment could be off, too.

briansan

Reaction score
If your rev your engine on P or N and feel the vibration then it's almost definitely your engine mounts.

Cip

Reaction score
True I could check the other mounts besides the front one. But that's weird because my alignment was good when I got the inspection from Sears and that was only a couple hundred miles ago. Also would it help to put the car in neutral when you get to red lights? Or is that too much shifting from a day to day basis? Thanks for the responses btw.

Cip

Reaction score
If your rev your engine on P or N and feel the vibration then it's almost definitely your engine mounts.

Car only vibrates in idle not while revving or driving. I'll still check my motor mounts on my next off day.

briansan

Reaction score
Something to do at the next gas fillup, pull your tranny dipstick (yellow) and check the color by wiping it with a napkin. Bright red is good; if it is brown, it should be changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cip

Reaction score
Update: I just checked my transmission fluid and it's at the correct level and it's red. Also checked my motor mounts in the front, left and right side, all seem fairly good. Should I still change the trans fluid just to be safe? Kinda don't wanna "fix" anything if everything appears to be good

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Sure, then you know what time it is, so you can start a schedule, then you know t's the correct stuff (Honda ATF!!!) and occasionally, you can find it thinner than it should be but red as ****

Hoff Daddy

Reaction score
I'm going to change my tranny fluid soon. I've had a bottle of that Seafoam trans stuff and I wanted to add just a little, at least half of what the bottle says. I do get a little rougher shift from 1st to 2nd o rare occasion, but the rest of the time is like butter. Even with the way it is I'm very pleased with it and it has over 200k mi on it.

Back